Cesky Krumlov


Advertisement
Published: January 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Over 6 months of travelling throughout Asia, the UK and Europe, one place stands above and beyond most places visited. This place is the small town of Cesky Krumlov, nestled in the horse-shoe bend of the Vlatava river in the Czech Republic.
On the walk from the bus station after catching a bus from Prague, the glimpses of the little town are absolutely breathtakingly picturesque. Churches, boarding houses, cafes and restaurants have all been squeezed into the almost island, and are bordered by cobble stone streets, tiny parks, and interesting shops.
My brother and I planned on spending 2 days here originally but ended up being stuck for 4, due to the fact that we could not tear ourselves away.
Good food at lovely bars sitting right above the river, keep you sitting at these restaurants perhaps all day unless you get the urge to do something active, which was in our case, hiring a canoe, and being dropped a few kilometres up the river to slowly meander down the Vlatava and marvel at the gorgeous countryside that Czech Republic has. The main attraction for the city is the Krumlov Castle, who’s walls line the opposite side of the river and stretch high above the water- I suggest a walk through the castle, it is quite beautiful, and provides another lovely viewpoint from which to see the town.
Another attraction is the Church of St. Vitus, which you are able to climb. To get a good view of Krumlov, and the surrounding area, with is equally as quaint and beautiful.
We were charmed by the accommodation options, as it really is hard to find a room which does NOT have a river view!! The boarding house we stayed in was quite charming, with lovely furniture, a great view and our hosts were generous and friendly and had a different breakfast set out for us every morning, with eggs, meat, yogurt and juices.
I would have been happy to stay in Cesky Krumlov for a month.
Make sure you take a lot of walks and get to as many little pubs, cafes and shops as possible. Even if you don’t want to spend money, walking around the town is entertainment enough and the architecture will take you back in time.
Make sure to visit the cocktail cart which pulls up near the bridge in the afternoons and serves surprisingly wonderful cocktails in plastic cups until dark!
One place that would make it easily on my top 20 things to do before you die list. Don’t plan a short stay either, you are sure to be disappointed to leave, make sure you stay as long as possible.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb