Venice, Italy - Day 1, Our arrival


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 21st 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Venice about 10:30 in the morning on Friday, Sept 21st. We headed for information booth to purchase Vaparetto bus ticket to the Island of Venice. We found out that the 3 day Vaparetto ticket includes the public bus system and were told how to catch the public bus to the Island.

A little disoriented and nervous we departed the airport and tried to figure where to catch this bus. We were not alone; others were hoping we were at the right bus stop too.

About 15-20 minutes our bus dropped us off at Piazzale Roma which is the gateway to Venice. We had no clue where to go next. We immediately walked down some steps and there it was VENICE! It was beautiful - The Grand Canal lined with colorful and ornate buildings. The desire to photograph everything was great, but how nervous we were to figure out how to get to our Bed and Breakfast trumped it. It was a warm day and being nervous made it hot.

I had my new world cell phone and trying to figure out how to use it was nerve racking. Bill's patience is thin with me right now. I had set the phone up and knew how to use it before we left. Once I needed to really use it, I could not figure out how to make the call to our Bed and Breakfast host who we were suppose to meet.

Finally, I figured it out and contacted the host. He could not meet us at Piazzale Roma as originally planned. He gave us instructions on where to meet near our Bed and Breakfast.

Now we needed to figure out the water bus (Vaparetto) system. After asking a few different people we were on a water bus heading down the Grand Canal. We can breathe and relax for a few minutes and enjoy the view. It was amazing, exciting and wonderful feeling to be in Italy.

We get off at the stop we needed and tried to figure out how to navigate through the calle's. Our host's directions were go left and left and right in broken English. We did not see the calle names he mentioned, but somehow we ended up where we needed to be - in Camp San Polo. This was an open square surrounded by tall buildings, an outdoor cafe and tourist souvenir carts. We called our host again to let him know we made it and a few seconds later he walked came out of one the doors. We were sitting just steps away from the Bed and Breakfast.

He lets us in the door and it’s a dark hallway leading to stairs with a light at the end of the tunnel. Our room is immediate at the top of the stairs. It is simple and had old antique charm to it. I really enjoyed the little courtyard view.

We settled in and were anxious to get out and see Venice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Campo San PoloCampo San Polo
Campo San Polo

Campo in which our Bed and Breakfast is located.
View from our roomView from our room
View from our room

The worn paint and textures some how are really beautifull
Our room with our host in the hallOur room with our host in the hall
Our room with our host in the hall

He is opening the door that leads to that dark stairway to the outside.
One more from our window...One more from our window...
One more from our window...

I think you can now tell, I enjoyed this odd little view.
Campo San PoloCampo San Polo
Campo San Polo

Pigeon enjoying water fountain in Campo San Polo.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb