Happy anniversary to us...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 4th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody!

We've been married 2 years today! Aren't we fantastic!?

Today we went to the island of Murano, where they are famous for making Venetian Glass. It was pretty interesting. They time their demonstrations for when people get off the water busses, so as soon as we alighted there was a guy shuffling us off (like it or not), to a demonstration of a master making a few things. They're really amazing, except in a way it's a bit disappointing because when you see the vases and things in the shops, you imagine some cute old man labouring intesively over one piece for hours, sweating blood due to the stress he's under to produce a piece worthy of being called Venetian glass...the reality is that he's a fat sweaty guy in a shearer's singlet, with a ciggy hanging out of his lips, and who makes a vase in less than 5 minutes and then starts on the next thing. But still it's impressive. I took a video of it but I can't put it up because I still can't get my laptop connected to the internet here, so I'll show you when I get home.

After that we went through some more shops and stuff, then went to dinner at a nice Italian Restaurant, where I got salted Sea Bass, which I had wanted to try for years, and finally got to - basically just a whole fish put into a pan of salt, then covered in salt and baked. After it's cooked they break off the salt and get the flesh off for you and it's fantastic - really moist, and so flavoursome. Beautiful. I think flavoursome is probably one of those words they only use in Watchtowers.

After that, we went to a Vivaldi concert and it was absolutely fantastic. They were so passionate about their music, it was really beautiful. We loved every second of it.

Anyway, off to Florence tomorrow.

Hope everybody is well, missing you all

Ray & Sue.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb