Stuck in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

AmphitheatreAmphitheatreAmphitheatre

Veronas local Opera House, not bad
Yesterday thought i might do a day trip to Verona, 2hr train ride then a walk into town. Such a hot day again, hate to think what a month will be like. Verona has such a pretty square, mostly because of the massive amphitheatre in the middle of it. Its the 3rd largest in the world an the best preserved. Its the cities opera house, The Who were playing a week before an Muse this weekend. Inside was pretty impressive. Walked along the main prominade an really felt like i was in Italy, lots of designer shops an all the italians dressed up with dark sunglasses, old men having passionite conversationsswinging their hands around, lots of double kissing of cheeks. tO GET TO Juliets (Guillettes) balcony tou go through a tunnel which is like multicoloured graffitti wall thats filled with love messages. The house wsa pretty stark with only a few objects but getting to lean over the balcony was worth it. The tradition is to touch Juliets heart for a new love, which somehow ends up being her right breast?? do as the romans do i guess! Walked back into the square with a Tirimasu gelato (so many flavours!!)
Bonnie's BalconyBonnie's BalconyBonnie's Balcony

Ok, so stole it from Juilette for a minute
Bit of rain passed over. Caught the train back an just before we hit the big bridge to get over to Venice, you could see 3 big uprooted trees which had fell onto the highway causing major caos. This is the only route in an out of the city, blocked. Crazy amounts of people milling around the train station, all the way to P. Roma. IF I HADNT SEEN WHAT HAPPENED U WOULDNT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON. Waited for the bus from 6.30pm to 9.30, when it finally got there, there were too many people so about 15 didnt even get on! Took an hour to get back, mostly spent on the bridge. A couple of Canadian guys were telling us about the festival an how it was cancelled. This freak storm just hit before the gates opened. By the time they got to the stage 20 of the 22 lightan sound towers had fallen fown, big TV screens smashed an My chemical romance stuff was all messed up on stage, a couple of people got taken to hospital but lucky the crowds wearnt in there.

Today just had a relaxing one. Best reunion moment ever though. Coming out of my bungalo door an looked over to the next one an recognised Jess, who i did Berlin toVienna with!! I hugged,she cried because was feeling a bit homesick. Great to have a pal you dont have to explain your life history too, the world is really quite small.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb