Day 12: Cima Grappa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Paderno del Grappa
May 25th 2009
Published: May 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A View from the TopA View from the TopA View from the Top

Here I am at the peak of Mount Grappa (1700+ meters). The ride was treacherous and exhilarating! And the cool breezes at the top were a welcomed relief.
I moved up to the 8:00 teaching section. Even though I have given up my leisurely mornings and last-minute prep time, I am going to enjoy having the whole day ahead of me starting at 9:30

It had rained last night—not too hard, but enough to clear up the air a little. The skies were the brightest and clearest I have seen them since I arrived. It didn’t rain enough, however, to snap this heat wave we’re having. I drove past an electronic thermometer that read 38 (or about 100F). Yikes!

My big adventure of the day was seeking the peak of Mount Grappa. I had been trying to find the right road since I got here. My GPS is only programmed to find Mount Grappa climbing trails, however. So even though those drives—and the views from the top (which, technically, is the bottom)—have been terrific, I knew it could still be better.

Eventually, after going up and down some narrow, winding roads, I gave up and decided to take a drive to Bassano to see what was there. That’s when I saw the sign for Cima Grappa (“Grappa Summit”). It didn’t seem to be quite where I
Tornante and PonteTornante and PonteTornante and Ponte

Most of the the ride to the top passes through a series of hairpin turns. There are also a couple stone bridges like this one along the way. La mia machina got quite a workout!
expected a road to the top to be located. So I didn’t get my hopes up too much… until I started winding up a steep mountainside, hugging really tight tornante (“hairpin turns”)—28 of them in all! About a half hour or so later I was at the top of the mountain looking down on the town below.

The summit was beautiful… and beautifully chilly. In fact, there still were snow banks in shaded areas. There also is a monument to World War I veterans at the summit. I am saving my tour of the monument for when my dad arrives. It should be a good afternoon trip for us.

p.s. Thanks, everyone, for your blog comments! 😊

Advertisement



26th May 2009

Daddy-O
Your padre is on his way!! He is very excited and I am very happy for him. I will be thinking of the two of you every day. Have a wonderful time! Love, Mom
1st June 2009

Have fun with your dad!
Hi, I hope you are having a great time with your dad! Happy exploring!
1st June 2009

Hey Kristen-- I've missed my vicarious italy experience this weekend. but hey, I'm guessing that's because you're actually experiencing italy. Hope you and your dad are having a great time. ICA was lovely. Your paper went over well. :)

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb