Lazy days in Asolo, then Sandrigo & Giovanna Maria


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Asolo
May 31st 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.7933, 11.9128

On Monday, we started our day slowly – it had been nearly 10pm when we got home last night. We decided to take the kids to see the temple of Canova at Possagno – but forgot until we arrived there that lots of things in Italy are closed on Mondays! Bugger! But we got to see the Temple with the most perfect blue sky!

We drove back to Asolo, taking a road that we'd not been up before, and looked at a couple of villas on the road, before arriving at the St Anna church and cemetery. The famous Asolo resident, Eleanora Duse, is buried there, and we had an interesting time walking around the cemetery (not as gruesome as it sounds!) Then to the grocery shop – I was thrilled to buy a cappuccino machine, and the kids were fascinated that the rabbit from the adjoining pet store is allowed to hop around freely (where is it going to go?) Home for lunch and a rest.

In the afternoon, we drove to Sandrigo, to where Rita's cousin Giovanna Maria lives. She owns a knitwear factory, making clothes for such brands as Valentino, Dolce & Gabbana, Azzedine Alaia and Max Mara. She made the dress that Michelle Obama wore, when she met the Queen! Some of the clothes were just amazing – there was a fabulous dress there, that apparently will retail for about 5000 Euros (about $AUD7000!) Georgia and I were very fortunate – sometimes, she makes up samples for the companies, to finalise the patterns – she gave us a number of jumpers and jackets, but it would have been easier if I was an American size 0 and Georgia was old enough to wear some of the dresses that require boobs. We'll just have to return again in a few years (how many years will it take me to get to size 0???)

Giovanna Maria is a lovely person and very kind – we've met her a number of times before. This time, we chatted with her younger daughter Romina, whilst we toured the factory, and the kids played with Romina's son Mattia (6yo) and then we went to dinner with Giovanna Maria and her elder daughter Cristina – a pizza restaurant that was perfect for the kids. Cristina also works in the business, but has trained as an architect and also is a local councilor. It was a nice night, but by the time we visited Cristina's apartment and said our goodbyes, it was after 9pm, meaning that it was nearly 10.30pm when the kids went to bed – another late night! The kids have been excellent, given the late nights we have had.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb