Hill Towns of Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Orvieto
June 20th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

TA here - FINALLY. Seems my timing with the internet cafes has been as futile as my timing with the Italian siestas. If you are hungry anytime between 1 - 4, then forget it! These people have something going on here...they know when to get OUT OF THE HEAT!

Today I am writing from Orvietto...an incredibly beautiful town perched atop a rock outcropping, accessible by a funky cable car that takes you straight uphill. Debe and I took a short side trip today into the town of Civita di Bagnoregio. This town has a population of 14. We had to hike up a bridge across a canyon to access the town, but it was well worth it. No one spoke any English. We had the best truffle bruschetta EVER and the owner made his own wine and let us tour his cellar. The two days preceding Orvietto we were in Siena...what a riot. Siena is also a town located on top of a hill, with an old medieval wall surrounding it. Walking here is a challenge because of hilly terrain. And it seems all roads lead to the Il Campo (the main piazza). Since all of the bars close at midnight, the residents (or those that like to party) head to the main piazza to drink. We met some locals and Debe taught one to jitterbug. And of course we consumed a LOT of wine. Everyone was moving very slowly the next day. By the time we got to Orvieto we all stunk to high heaven because of the humidity here...but its all been good. I actually had to negotiate a laundromat. While we thought doing our laundry in the sink would work, we did not anticipate the extreme amounts of body fluids that we would be losing due to the humidity! I never knew my feet could stink so much!

I have been told to keep this short as we are headed for the train to Sorrento to rest and relax on the Tyrrhenian coast. We will check in later....for now Ciao!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd June 2006

Hello
Sound to me as if you are getting really tired and ready for home. Ashley said you will arrive on Sunday you have a safe flight. Dont forget my 2 bottles of wine one to save and one to drink. LOL Love Deb

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb