17 flags and one horse that wouldn't move


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
June 30th 2004
Published: June 30th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Flags in SienaFlags in SienaFlags in Siena

Behind me hang the 17 flags of each of the districts.
I've spent in Siena, which is about an hour and a half south of Florence, for the past two days. This week is race week ... so the 17 districts of Siena hang their flags and chant really loudly. And, they show off their horses. Yesterday evening, we wondered down to Il Campo to watch the horses run around the campo. One horse in particular did not want to leave the stable ... in fact he barely moved after the jockey kicked him continuously and the trainer slapped him and pulled him forward. Finally, the jockey dismounted and the horse moved onto the track. Anyway, the whole affair was a lot shorter than expected ... and a parade followed it. I guess it's pretty prestigious to throw flags.
Not much else happened in Siena besides laundry and sleeping (due to my head cold that's come on). Tonight, we are taking an overnight train to Salzburg. I hope I sleep like a rock nearly the whole way!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Riding barebackRiding bareback
Riding bareback

In the distance, the jockeys ride the horses bareback.
Il DuomoIl Duomo
Il Duomo

Here is the tower of Siena's Duomo.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb