On to San Gimignano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » San Gimignano
October 1st 2011
Published: October 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was our day to check out of our hotel and head to the country. However check out time wasn’t until noon so we planned to get up early, have breakfast and then be at the Duomo well ahead of the 10 am opening time so we could tour the dome before it got to busy. Then we would visit the 2 market areas again before heading out. Well, that was a good plan. However it appears the time change was still affecting us as we slept in - until 11:30!!!! Claude has never slept that long in his life! So, by that point we only had time to pack and check out. No breakfast, no Duomo. We had quite a chuckle about it. I had woken up a few times but since Claude was still sleeping so soundly (and he is the early riser), I thought it must not be too late. Guess we needed a clock in the room.
We cabbed back to the airport and picked up our rental car. It was actually very easy to get from the airport to the highway, so leaving Florence was easy. We arrived here at Poggiacolle, our farm stay for the week, just outside of San Gimignano. It was 30 today so incredibly hot – especially for October! After having a lunch snack in our little apartment we headed for a late day dip in the pool. The views are spectacular. Stefano, the owner gave us a bottle each of his red and white wine and a small bottle of his olive oil. Claude cooked a wonderful pasta dinner using the oil, tomatoes and fresh basil from the garden. Our apartment is very large. There is a complete kitchen, small sitting area off the entry and a bedroom and bathroom. Despite the heat, the thick stone walls and heavy wood shutters keep the temperature inside quite tolerable. The evening temperature also cools down quite nicely. It will be a beautiful place for the week.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb