Pisa & Lucca


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
July 25th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Florence to Pisa


Monday 27th June 2011

An hour’s drive today to Pisa - famous for its leaning tower.
Lunch and yet again use of a campsite swimming in pool in the heat of the day however this time fun was had with an inflatable killer whale called – Tim.

Early evening a short walk into town to see the famous leaning tower the 'Torre Pendente di Pisa' which is in fact the campanile, or freestanding bell tower of the cathedral of the Italian city of Pisa. It is situated behind the Cathedral and is the third oldest structure in Pisa's Cathedral Square (Piazza del Duomo) after the Cathedral and the Baptistry.

The height of the tower is 55.86 m (183.27 ft) from the ground on the low side and 56.70 m (186.02 ft) on the high side. Prior to restoration work performed between 1990 and 2001, the tower leaned at an angle of 5.5 degrees but the tower now leans at about 3.99 degrees. This means that the top of the tower is displaced horizontally 3.9 metres (12 ft 10 in) from where it would be if the structure were perfectly vertical.

A popular tourist activity is to pose for photographs pretending to "hold up" the leaning tower and preventing it from falling. The illusion is created through the principle of forced perspective and of course we could not resist our own attempts.

Our visit was followed by treats all round with dinner at old Mcdo’s for the boys and in the site restaurant for us.

Tuesday 28th June 2011

A visit to the mainly medieval town of Lucca by train today.

This is a beautiful little Tuscan town protected by massively thick 16th-century walls, featuring some of Italy's finest medieval and Renaissance architecture.

The Renaissance Walls, the most significant monument of the city, is an intact circle of about 4 km in length, with a series of ramparts. These walls have allowed the historic center to maintain its appearance. Under the Bourbons the walls lost their military value and were transformed into a public walkway.

Lucca was also the birthplace of Giacomo Puccini on December 22, 1858, He was the last of a dynasty of musicians who for a long time dominated the cultural and musical life of Lucca. His remained connected to his birthplace where he spent the years of his infancy and childhood and assured that it remained the property of the family.

Lucca is a town of towers and we ascended one of the most prestigious the Guinigi Tower.
The palace and the tree-topped tower, belonging to the prestigious merchant family of the Guinigi, are located in one of the most characteristic medieval neighborhoods of the city. It is the only remaining example of a home of Gothic nobility. Strangely trees are grown on the top of the tower making it easily seen across the city.

On to the "Piazza Anfiteatro" Piazza of the Amphitheatre. - Built on the site of an original Roman amphitheatre. Some original Roman elements remain, particularly within the outer walls. This ancient site constitutes one of the most characteristic and original monuments of the city. The ancient amphitheatre dates from the 2nd century A.D. It was built on an elliptical plan with two rows of 54 arcades and a maximum capacity of 10,000 spectators. Beginning in the Middle Ages, houses were built over the ruins. Over the course of time the piazza developed its characteristic elliptical shape, with buildings all around it. The ancient remains are still quite evident today.

Home for a dip in the pool late afternoon and another opportunity to enjoy the warm weather outdoors.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb