Return to France


Advertisement
Published: August 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Pisa to Avignon


Apologies to all our readers for the delay in updating our blog - no / poor / extortionate internet access in France prevented timely publication.

Wednesday 29th / Thursday 30th June 2011

We are now sadly on our way north leaving Italy for France stopping overnight at a small Dutch run site at Celeria before crossing the border.

Friday 1st / Saturday 2nd / Sunday 3rd July 2011

Settled for a few days at a holiday site at Roquebrune-sur- Argens where suprisingly our low season discount card is still valid for the first week of July. We are happy to take advantage of the excellent facilities and the hot weather of the south of France before heading further north towards Calais and our ferry booked for the 19th July.

Monday 4th July 2011

On the road to Avignon and its famous medieval bridge. After pitching camp we head across the river to the town and a visit to The Pont Saint-Bénezet also known as the Pont d'Avignon. The bridge originally spanned the Rhône River and was built between 1171 and 1185, with an original length of some 900 m. Over the centuries however arches collapsed and were replaced by rickety wooden sections and the bridge was finally put out of use by a catastrophic flood in 1668. Today only four of the initial 22 arches remain intact.

I offered to dance on the bridge as per the song but the boys begged me not to embarrass them and reluctantly I agreed on the understanding that they recited the song themselves.

From here we headed into the town and the courtyard of Le Palais des Papes. Here in 1306, the newly elected French Pope Clement V decided to move his court away from Rome and take up residence. Over the course of 68 years Clement and six of his successors lived in what had been Avignon’s monastery, gradually adding to it until it grew into the vast, imposing edifice that stands today.

In the courtyard we found street musicians performing and discovered that we had arrived just before the Avignon Festival was about to start. The town was buzzing with preparations for France's equivalent of the UK's Edinburgh festival.

We made our way through the town to a big wheel on the banks of the river Rhone.
Max stayed on terra firma whilst we enjoyed the ride and views over the city.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



3rd September 2011

Nice Post!!
All the pics are awesome. as well as the post, It is very interesting.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 14; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb