Visit to Pisa/ WWII conversation


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
July 4th 2008
Published: July 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From Perugia we traveled in one day to Florence and then to Pisa. Bertha keeps calling it Pizza and we laugh everytime she says that. It was two and a half hours to Florence and one hour to Pisa on the train. From the train station we got on a the bus with all of the pick pocketers to the site. It amazes me that each time I see a site like Pisa that we've seen in books all this time, it is really more beautiful and more amazing in person. RJ was the only one that took the challenge climbing all of the stairs to the top. We have pictures of him as king of the world! There were several other very extraordinary buildings with the leaning tower but it certainly took the attention. Of course we saw many of the tourists taking faux pictures of holding up the tower and we have to include ourselves in that too. Lots of little shops and for that long of a train ride we spent a total of three hours there before the long trip home.

We came home to Perugia exhausted at about midnight. We called Mom because it was her birthday. Bob recalled buying Mom her little music box almost 25 years ago to the day in Florence Italy.

From Bob: Starving for English conversation with someone other than one of the three of us, I struck up a conversation with an English speaking passenger who was from England, Bristol to be exact. I learned in talking with him that he also enjoyed WWII history and we talked about the war in Italy afrom the English and the American viewpoints. The older Italian gentleman who was sitting next to us, chimed in and said that as a 10 year old boy he remembers the slew of B17 Flying Fortresses flying over Rome and dropping their bombs. He said he was actually struck in the knee with shrapnel from one of the bombs.
It was very interesting talking to both of them on the ride to Pisa, we talked about our favorite war movies like Saving Private Ryan, the Longest Day, Kellys Heroes etc. I am surprised that the English are watching the same movies. It was great a conversation.

Michael, thanks for the baseball update. I am dying to know what is going on in the states, no one, I mean no one, cares or even knows there is baseball being played.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Leaning Tower Leaning Tower
Leaning Tower

RJ on top of the world!


Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0997s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb