Chianti - Day 4


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Gaiole in Chianti
March 14th 2011
Published: March 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello All, its day four of our adventure and Yes, it’s still freezing.

We have managed to heat the bedroom to a reasonable enough temperature for sleeping, but the rest of the house is still icy enough to warrant wearing several layers.

Our first task today was to drive down to the village for provisions. Mondays apparently are peculiar for shop owners closing at midday or opening for just a few hours in the afternoon. So we hopped in the RAV4 and sped our way down the steep white road. A little side trip to the Tourist Information office to check on the location of the library and possibility of language classes and then it was back up the hill for a tour of the property with the owners to discuss what may need immediate attention.

They are in the process of writing a list of jobs they would like us to carry out in between now and their next visit in nine weeks time.
After our tour I decided to make a start on sowing some of my herbs and vegetable seeds for germinating –sounds like I know what I am talking about right….wrong. Although I grew up in a house with a fantastic kitchen garden I don’t remember my parents passing on the specifics of how to grow a tomato plant – although for some strange reason it feels very natural to wear dungarees whilst arming myself with a trowel and watering can.
Anyway, it was a simple matter of following instructions on the packet. So far I have sowed some herbs, tomatoes and garlic.
Then Jaime and I turned out attention to straightening out some of the gravel areas that had been thoroughly routed through by wild boar and porcupines – creatures we have yet to spot.
Then we cleared some of the drains from leaves and debris so any further rainwater expected this week could drain away more easily. And then finally we cleared several Olive trees from ‘suckers’ – basically offshoots that sprout from the main stem that need to be trimmed back to ensure the tree grows outward – makes it easier when harvesting the olives – only 50 more trees to go haha.

And to finish off the day, I salvage some black kale, garlic and chilli from the garden and made us what felt like a very self-sufficient dinner.
Jaime's been trying to sort out the satellite TV for us; we can receive hundreds of Italian and German channels, but nothing in English. Ahh well, will help keep us focused on more educational entertainment.

Time to relax now…a hot bubble bath is calling.

Tomorrow we are venturing to a nearby village called Montevarchi for some gardening supplies and to hopefully carry out a real food shop….oh and if we spot a hot water bottle or two they will definitely be on the shopping list.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb