Under the Tuscan Sun


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
September 22nd 2005
Published: October 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I awoke this morning with Patrice already gone. I didn't think she'd really wake up early just to go to a museum. Back on the coach to be dropped off in the middle of Florence for our day of sight-seeing. Our first thing of the day was to watch a demonstration on Florentine leather. It was actually pretty interesting as we were shown how to differentiate between real and fake leather. Again, as in the previous demonstrations in Venice, we were lead into the show room where they sold a variety of leather products. I actually contemplated purchasing something here but after looking at a few of the prices, I decided to check out some other places before making my decision. After the demonstration, we had an hour before our guided walking tour. We decided to just wander the Piazza della Signoria a bit admiring the statues before getting a light snack at a trattoria. After killing an hour, we met up in the Piazza della Signoria for the walking tour. The tour started in the Piazza where the guide starting giving us a lot of information about the various statues, too much information if you asked me. Again, as in other guided tours, I began to get very bored and was just hoping that she would hurry up so we can get moving. Next on the walking tour, we ventured over to the Duomo, passing the Accademia where the original "David" is. After the Duomo, we went to the Piazza Santa Croze where the guide gave us some information about the basilica and some of the famous people entombed inside. The tour ended at the Ponte Vecchio. While walking to the Ponte Vecchio, we spotted Patrice, Sandra, and Andrea still in line for the Uffizi Gallery. Apparently they left at 6am to catch the bus. It was already around 10am and they were still nowhere near the front of the line! The Ponte Vecchio was the oldest bridge to cross the Arno River and the only one that survived World War 2. The main activity on the bridge was shopping at the many shops that all sold gold jewelry. The tour ended here after the guide gave us a brief history of the bridge. After this, we were on our own until we were to get picked up mid-afternoon to go back to the hotel. The 6 of us decided to just continue walking in the opposite direction of central Florence. It was much noisier and congested on this side of the bridge. We made it to Piazza Pitti in front of the Pitti Palace. At this point, I don't think anyone wanted to go in but just relax and rest for a while. So we all purchased a gelato, found a shady spot, and just sat in the piazza relaxing and people-watching. Not really knowing what to do next we decided to cross back over the bridge to do some shopping. I decided at this point that I just wanted to wander and have some alone time. So while everyone else went shopping, I decided I was gonna stand in line to climb to the top of the Duomo. The line wasn't terribly long but it just was not moving. After standing in line for about a half an hour, I called it quits and left. I just continued walking and wandering around looking at various shops and stalls. I decided to venture over to the internet cafe that I saw last night in front of the Red Garter Pub. After checking and sending some e-mails, I was back out on the streets doing more wandering. Just as I was getting bored, I ran into Mar, Amy, Suzanne, and Clay. They were finishing up the last of their shopping before going back to the meeting point in Piazza Santa Croce. When we got to the pick-up point, Patrice was there waiting. Apparently, they were able to get into the Uffizi and were really glad they endured that long line. While waiting, I decided that I can't leave Florence without purchasing something. So I dashed into a few nearby shops looking for something leather to purchase. I eventually settled on a leather wallet for 20 euros. In no time, we were back on the coach, for a few hours of rest before our big dinner and night out on the town.

Back at the hotel, Patrice informed me that she wasn't feeling well and that she was going to back out on the big dinner tonight and just stay in the room. I guess all this non-stop travelling and partying has finally gotten to her! We all got dressed up in our best. For me, the best was a button down long-sleeved collared black shirt along with my jeans. Before dinner, we made a stop at Piazzale Michelangelo overlooking central Florence for our group photo. It was an awesome vantage point with the city and the sunset in the background. After our quick photos, we were off for our drive into the tuscan hills to La Certosa Restaurant. After about a half hour drive, we made it to the restaurant which was perched on a hill. The driveway was really narrow and it was quite a nerve-wracking experience driving up it in such a huge coach. Upon arrival, we were greeted with a complimentary liqueur as well as a glass of wine as we stood outside the restaurant talking amongst each other. It was a packed house at this restaurant as many other coaches full of tourists had already arrived. We took our seats inside the restaurant and to our great pleasure, the unlimited wine bottles had already been placed at our tables. Needless to say, we starting drinking quick. Appetizers were served first followed by the salad. Meanwhile, an opera singer was singing on stage to try and give the place more of an Italian ambience. They starting playing some slow romantic music which brought out some of the couples to the dance floor. This was followed by some cheesy fun songs like the Macarena and the chicken dance which brought most of us to the dance floor. The main course was a chicken dish with some delicious pasta. They were even going around serving seconds on the pasta!!! After the main course, me and Rob went outside for a smoke and started chatting with this American woman from Hawaii who was on another tour. We just started talking about American politics and the perceptions that others have about us Americans. Rob and I were getting along so well that this woman actually thought we had been friends for quite a while. We were outside for a good 45 minutes that we completely missed out on the dessert! After the dinner, everyone was in high spirits in large part to the free flowing wine. The ride on the bus was one of the more memorable moments of the trip. Fridge was blaring the music and most everyone just started dancing in the aisles. Even the quiet ones weren't able to resist. Most everyone went along to Space Electronica night club except Sandra and Cassie who was still having stomach issues. This club was definitely not a locals club as it was full of tourists and sleezy Italian men seeking to hook-up with unsuspecting females. It was here at the club that major drama occurred and divisions with the group started to form. Immediately after getting my drink, I was hanging out with the Aussie Gossip Crew who was having a tiff with Tina. I guess Tina was hanging out the them at the beginning of the trip but started to distance herself and hang out with Claire. The Aussie Gossip Crew absolutely hated Claire and started to reject Tina. Typical High School drama which I'd rather not be a part of. I also learned tonight that many of the girls on the bus started chanting "BMX" in reference to riding a BMX bike like you would ride Claire. Claire had no idea what the BMX chant was all about and was participating herself. Apparently, she learned the meaning of BMX at the club tonight and left in tears. Crazy Sara was apparently the main catalyst for this incident and many in group started to get really fed up with her after tonight. Most of the night was spent dancing with everyone, hanging out with the Aussie Gossip Crew in the smoke room, and listening to people look foolish while singing karaoke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb