Haggle!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 9th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Its an odd feeling when you're surrounded by hoards of people crammed into a teeny-tiny street lined with carts full of intricate scarves, hand cut belts, supple gorgeous leather bags, jackets, notebooks and all you're thinking is: go in for the kill!

A rare thrill for mall shoppers, being able to pick your product then demand a price is strangely liberating. When in such a barter friendly world like the San Lorenzo Market in Florence a few key rules will make a €60 into €40 with a change purse.

1. Always greet the vendor in Italian and ask Quanto costa?

I lived a block over from the market and saw the same vendors everyday on my walk to class. They made it a point to tell me that they say the lowest base price if they think you speak Italian. It's definitely true because I asked a clerk how much a small shoulder bag cost and if he could offer a discount. He shouted in Italian to his boss how low could they, €15, and told me €25 in English.

2. Don't be afraid to go absurdly low, like 40-50% of the asking price. Point to another cart that has the same product, since they all have mostly the same items, and say that they offered it to you for a lower price.

3. When it comes to leather jackets be patient. Try several on in the market then ask to go to the actual shop. Once you have decided on a jacket don't take the one you've been trying on, ask for a new one. If you've snagged the last one ask for another 5% off for wear and tear.

4. Smell the leather. If it smells funky or fake walk away.

5. The smaller dress shops like Yu on Via Sant'Antonino and those surrounding the Uffizi often have the same dresses from the market for half price. If they priced a sundress at €25 offer €10.

6. As often as possible decide on an item then ask if they have the same thing wrapped in plastic. In an open air market you should never pay full price for anything.

Florence is great because of the constant student presence. This means that if you mention you're taking classes it's an automatic 20-40% off. Use this as our base and still offer considerably less for your to die for handmade leather satchel with your initials burnt in. Above all don't be afraid to walk away.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb