"What a fine arse!"


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
April 11th 2006
Published: April 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yes, those were the exact words that escaped my lips as I set eyes on David's arse. That is, the famous Michelangelo statue of David (sorry Dave! Your arse is very nice too though, hehe!!). Well, a replica of it at least. (Who would seriously pay over 10 euros to see the original, when there is a to-scale copy in the centre of Firenze? Clearly, I didn't).
Firenze, aka Florence for all you English-speaking folk, was actually abit of a disappointment to me. After all the hype I'd heard about it, which went something like "OOOOHHH, I LOOOOOVEED Florence!!", to be honest, the city didn't impress me all that much. It could have been the fact that it was arse-freezing cold the whole time I was there. It could have been the fact that it was here where I got harassed so much by the local male contingent that I pretty much ran back to my hostel in tears (no joke). Or it could have been the fact that I'm really not that much of an art museum girl- and Firenze is reknowned for its collection of art.
Having said that, the one museum I did grudgingly pay an exorborent fee to enter was the Uffizi Gallery, which houses Boticelli's famous work entitled 'The Birth Of Venus'. And can I just say, WOW! Seriously. I'm not much of an art lover, but that painting is just, well, wow! I was standing in front of it for about half an hour, just taking it all in (that was also because I was trying to sneak a photo, and was waiting for the opportune moment- there is a strict 'no photo' rule in the gallery, and they basically escort you out if they see you taking one. Having said that, I took a photo not only of this work, but also of Leonardo Da Vinci's famous 'Annunciation' and 'Adoration of the Magi'- yes, I see you all running to your art books to look those up!! Did the same thing in the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City- aren't I such a bad girl ;p ).
Anyway, just a tip if you ever decide to go to said gallery. It opens at 8.15am. I got there at 8am, thinking there would be little if any queue. WRONG!! One and a half hours later...! So my tip? Get there crack-of-dawn early (and bring a jumper!).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.032s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb