Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
May 21st 2010
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

On our last night in Nice we ended up going out again with our friends from Montreal. We ended up at this little french pub a few blocks away where they sang live french music...it sucked. They also TRIED to sing English music but none of them knew the words so it all sounded like one big long mumble. We ended up staying up much later than originally planned, however we were still on time for our train at 7.45am! We did get ripped off royally by the cab driver who drove us to the train station...18 euro for a 5 minute cab ride! He claimed that he didnt speak English though, so we literally had nothing to say to him. We fell asleep quickly on our first train and didn't even wake up when we got to our stop. It could have been horrible, but luckily our stop was the last one on the route, and we woke up fairly shortly after the train had been stopped. We couldn't believe that no one on the train woke us up...stupid French/Italians.

We finally got into Florence around 3.00 after eating horrible wraps at a train station in Ventimiglia that rotted in our stomaches the entire way. We just ended up walking around the city for the rest of the evening. Everything in Florence is within a half hour radius of each other, so getting around has been fabulous...no getting lost! We also saw Shannon Tweed, Gene Simmons wife, walking around the downtown area. We ate dinner at our hostel and sat and drank wine on the rooftop terrace that overlooks the city. Pretty cool!

Today we went and saw some of the major sites, we went to the Duomo, which is the fourth largest church in the world and walked up the 460 narrow steps to the top..ugh, and got to look out over the entire city. Every building here is either yellow, red, orange, or brown...its quite strange. We had an awesome lunch today for 10 euros. We got a glass of wine, a pasta, a meat and potato dish and dessert, it was unreal. Much better than the stupid Americanized restaurant that we got ripped off at the day before. We went to the Academia and saw the statue of David after lunch and were so tired that we just did a little more walking around and went back to the hostel. At one point of the day, as we were looking at the beautiful river and historic bridges a bird came and shit on my arm...I had a tiny panic attack. It was horrible and completely wrecked the moment.

Leaving for Rome early tomorrow morning so we are going to go drink some Chianti and have some dins. Ciao!

Advertisement



22nd May 2010

Shit happens!
I must have been so awsome to see the statue of David. By the way-speaking of Italians-you have a new baby step niece-she was born yesterday-May 20 -6 lbs 10ozs and her name is Tessa Maria Comba. You'll have to have a glass of good Italian wine to welcome her to the World. We can only imagine how beautiful it must be there. Hope your weather is good. Its Friday night here and we are going into the May long weekend and its sunny and warm. Tourist time! Love you, Mom and Barry.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb