Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 24th 2010
Published: May 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Rome has been great so far, we have had awesome weather and the bed and breakfast that we are staying at is unbelievable. The place is run by this woman named Fulvia who has been extremely helpful and gets us whatever we like to drink for breakfast! When we first got into Rome we got in around lunchtime and after a quick shower and rest we went to the Colosseum, the Roman Forum and Palantine Hill...basically all of the Roman ruins from about 2000 years ago. When we got back to our room that night we immediately fell asleep and basically just slept all the way until morning.

The next day we wandered around and rode in one of those open top tour busses that took us to most of the main monuments. We saw the Trevi fountain and threw coins in, which ensure our return to Rome one day. We wandered around the Traverstere area and had the best pizza we've ever had. One of them had garlic, zucchini, sausage with buffalo mozzarella, which was our favourite. We also went to the Piazzo Venezia and saw the building that Hitler and Mussolini stood on and saw the Pantheon and tons of other little piazzas with fountains.

Today we got up earlyish in order to stand in line for 2 hours in the sweltering heat in pants so that they would let us in, in order to get into the Vatican museums. We finally saw the Sistine Chapel, which was awesome, a lot darker and more contained than we imagined though. We went back to the pizza place that we went to yesterday and finally, after a month of watching erratic and dangerous scooter driving around Europe, saw a scooter accident, we were quite thrilled...we walked back to St. Peters basilica after lunch and just walked around and saw the tombs inside the church. The building itself is unreal, probably the coolest church/building we've seen yet. It was so hot that I had to do a Mr. Bean style change in the middle of the street, only to feel completely uncomfortable walking around in the shortest skirt in Rome. We were going to climb the dome, but the weather was starting to get yucky so we decided to bolt over to the Spanish Steps before it started to rain. We got yelled at by a crazy local on the way too, for 'apparently' cutting her off. We made it just in time to get a few pictures and run to the very top before it started pouring, then hopped back on the subway and went back to our hotel. It's been hard to blog here since the place we are staying does not have a computer so forgive the brief rundown of our last 3 days.

We are heading to Venice for the day tomorrow where we are meeting our friends and then are taking an overnight train back to Paris, where we will spend the remainder of the day and hopefully get to see the catacombs. Then we are back on a plane to London that night and will arrive around 7.00pm. Probably will not blog again until we are back in London since we will be transients during the next day and a half.

Goodbye and happy birthday Mama McTeer!

Advertisement



25th May 2010

thanks
Thanks for the b-day wishes and the call today :) Enjoy your last week!
25th May 2010

Rome - Monda, May 24th
We are following your journay on our large map of Euope. Our spirit and love is tagging along. Your descriptive events are a joy to read. Next chapter - Paris and London Baby Return. We look forward to the next episode. Lots of love from Grandpa and Grandma.

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb