Touring on Foot


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
October 29th 2009
Published: October 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 9 Florence

We went to the city market this morning and bought food for breakfast and lunch, and set off for another day of walking...but we had little idea of just how far we'd end up walking...

We visited several landmarks, and then decided to walk across the river and up the hill to the Boboli Gardens. Part way up, we met a Brit couple who were coming down (there was no one else walking) and suggested we go to another park that was free and had even better views. We walked up to the ridge line, and followed the narrow road lined with olive orchards and villas. At a break in the wall, we looked down and realized that we couldn't see Florence....we had missed a turn and were headed off away from the city. Since we were already a mile or so from the missed turn we kept going to next intersection...and headed back towards the city...it was a beautiful walk...and the park did have a great view of the city.

The rest of the afternoon was spent waiting for tickets for the Uffizi Gallery, and visiting the exhibit...the line was an hour (in the
Frescoes being repairedFrescoes being repairedFrescoes being repaired

We walked into this courtyard, once used for burials, only to find a funeral was being held in chapel off the side....we left quietly...
summer it can be seven hours). We met an Argentinian woman while waiting who had run in the Venice Marathon!

Day 10 Florence to Sanremo

We had a beautiful 8 hour train ride along the coast today..we are in Sanremo tonight and may stay an extra or leave tomorrow for Cinque Terre. The train ride was about a third in tunnels!





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Typical StationTypical Station
Typical Station

There are many palm trees here..Sanremo has a very warm micro-climate..


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb