ROMA! (and a little super bowl)


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
February 5th 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another busy weekend has passed, and this one I spent in Rome! Our call time was 6:15 AM at the train station, and while we made it, it was definitely a rough morning. We even made time to grab a quick caffe latte (my new favorite, and one of the largest drinks they sell) though that might have been why we almost missed the train. A quick 2 hour train ride later, we landed in Roma, quickly dropped off our bags at the hotel and jumped in line for the Vatican Museums. We toured the museum and saw the outside courtyard, tons of amazing artwork, much of which was outside, and finally to top off the visit, the Sistine Chapel. The tour guide explained all of the different panels and pieces of the ceiling and walls, but to actually see it, was absolutely the most surreal thing ever. I actually saw firsthand the ceiling of the SISTINE CHAPEL! It still blows my mind...and of course was the most detailed, beautiful, vibrant art ever. There was so much going on in such a small space I honestly could have stayed in there mouth wide open for days. After the Chapel, we visited St. Peters and again gaped at the ornate ceilings, walls and decorations around the cathedral. The church is amazing and once again super overwhelming. We ended our sightseeing day with a trip to the Pantheon for just a few minutes because there were so many people crowding in before the building closed. I would have definitely liked to check it out a lot longer, but that can be for my next trip. We came back to our hotel, and as hard as we tried, couldn't fight off an hour nap. For dinner, we decided to wander and find a cool local restaurant near the popular piazza we had seen earlier. Apparently we found one of the best places in the area, and it is hands down the best meal I have had in Italy and top 5 in my life. I had cannelloni and tiramisu and cappuchino and wine and wine and tasted everyone else's and it took 3 hours and was the best time spent in Rome. We went out afterwards and that was crazy too. The next day we went to the Coliseum and took a major tour around the site and all the history is really amazing. It was just like a postcard. We also took a little side trip to the Trevi Fountain, where I threw a penny in the water so I would definitely come back. The fountain was huge and really hard to capture in pictures. The figures and sculpture was incredible and obviously packed because it was a perfectly beautiful day. The rest of the day we spent in the best gelato place in Rome...Valentino! It was creamy and delicious and absolutely amazing. A quick 2 hour nap/train ride later we arrived in Florence and then almost immediately went to one of our favorite American bars to watch the Super Bowl. We all know how that worked out, and everyone in the bar went crazy. It came on around 12:30 am and we got home about 4:30 am...about the longest day I've ever had. A wonderful weekend....Go Giants!



Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Photo 8Photo 8
Photo 8

the model that many artists, including Michelangelo studied as the perfect example.


18th February 2008

Bella Roma
I'm so glad you had a good time in Roma! It is one of the most fab cities ever (I'm not biased or anything). I miss you, Mo! Love!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb