Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 29th 2018
Published: July 4th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As we started our tour for the day, our first stop was the Galleria dell'Accademia which houses Michelangelo's David as well as other of this works. After having time to enjoy that art housed in the gallery we continued our walk through Florence passing the home of the Medici's. The Medici Family ruled Florence during the 15th century and were very wealthy as wool merchants and bankers. After passing their home we preceded to the Duomo, the first domed structure erected in Europe since Roman times. It was built between 1296 and 1436. The Baptistery, built in the 11th century is known for its three sets of bronze doors with Old Testament scenes. The bell tower was built between 1334 and 1359. We were finally taken to a leather shop with just about anything made out of leather you could want from change purses to coats.

The afternoon was ours at leisure allowing us to wonder the area including the Piazza della Signoria which holds the Palazzo Vecchio, the town hall, a copy of Michelangelo's David, the Fountain of Neptune, a copy of The Rape of the Sabine Women, Perseus with the Head of Medusa and Medici Lions. We did have to check out the gelato store.

The evening found us indulging in an authentic Tuscan dinner complete with music and wine.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb