another road trip


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Castiglione della Pescaia
May 28th 2014
Published: May 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It was time to go exploring. Our destination--an ancient walled city in the hills of Tuscany. Vetulonia has a museum displaying artifacts from the Etruscan civilization.

The Etruscans lived in the area before the Romans, about 400 or 500 B.C. The Romans destroyed much of the Etruscan history but claimed some of their practices as their own. Some of the artifacts were in extremely good condition. Imagine what it would be like to find an old pot full of coins dating back to the Roman times. Or finding a bronze helmet or spear head from before the time of the Romans.

The hill town of Vetulonia is very small and peaceful. We enjoyed gazing out at the various vistas around the town. And again it was fun roaming the narrow streets.

We continued on through the hills of Tuscany with Jerry driving like an Italian on the narrow windy roads. We wanted to explore some more of the coastline but we didn't have much luck. The map doesn't show road names but then there are no roadsigns with names either. So following the map is futile. The only signs are signs pointing to the towns. I guess you are just supposed to know the correct way to go. But since we didn't know the way we couldn't find the little towns we were looking for hmmmmm.

So it was back to town. We ate at a restaurant that had been recommended to us by our landlady. I had spaghetti which was delicious. Jerry had a seafood salad. Italians don't make a seafood salad with lettuce. Their seafood salad is all seafood-fish, scallops, mussels, octopus, squid-it was excellent. I am pretty sure we will have to go back there before we leave town.

The best part of the day were the views from Vetulonia. We enjoyed gazing at the Tuscany rolling hills of olive groves and vineyards, the distant hill towns, and the Mediterranean Sea. AWESOME!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0569s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb