La Veduta (our cottage) and Sienna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Arezzo
May 12th 2013
Published: May 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Some photos of our accommodation in Bagnoro.

Sunday was our rest day. Having said that we had a jaunt to the local Supermarket. It is always interesting checking out all the different food and produce! Then in the evening we headed up the mountain road thinking we might get to the top before dark. Not a chance. It just kept on going. Jim went on ahead at one point to check out the next bend and I heard the rustle of bushes beside me. All I could think of was wild boar and I let out a Jimmmm! Fortunately there was no sign of any deer or boar but glad we turned as it was dark by the time we got back.

We were told by Paul this morning that there are families of boars close by but it has never been known that they attack. So we may go on a boar hunt at some stage.

So today Monday we got up early following the guide book advice to get to Sienna early. Paul then told us this morning that it is customary for all shops to be closed on Monday mornings.

Anyway as it was we forgot the map and had to turn back and also we took a wrong turn and ended up a bit later arriving in Sienna. It was easy to park and the town is so scenic that even the walk from the car park took us through the college quarters - Medieval and the streets are narrow and cobbled. Sienna is built on 7 hills so we walked up and down the medieval lanes some so narrow that buildings leaned into each other. The town escaped the bombing of World War 11 so the buildings remained intact. The Duoma is so decorative and crammed with Holy pictures and sculptures. The plan way back was to extend the church by building another nave but with the Black death, the nave was never completed and so a museum occupies the unfinished part. Paintings and sculptures are plentiful. We opted to look around and then joined the queue on the top floor. We had been told there were lovely views across the town and sure enough many stone spiral stairway steps later we arrived at the top. yes. It was worth it - panoramic views. The town is probably the nicest yet! Red brick and slates! Down we came and sauntered down to the Piazza del Campo - 12th century with a bell tower beside it and one of the largest in Italy. A horse race takes place on the piazza annually and is attended by thousands of spectators. There are many cafes and gelatis surrounding it and we sampled yet another ice cream and frozen yoghurt I have to confess.

We browsed for a while and then headed back to Bagnoro for a quiet evening. Vaz is our new friend!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb