SATURDAY - TRAVEL THROUGH TO AREZZO


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Arezzo
May 12th 2013
Published: May 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We departed from Antella at 11 and decided to take the scenic route via the Appenine ridge. Tusc50 kany has not been a disappointment. It is more beautiful than they say. The landscape is unspoiled and as you look upwards towards the rolling hills they are clad in trees and wild flowers and meadows. The small hilltop towns are so sleepy and with locals sitting in the piazzas chatting. There were signs advertising the 50 k cycle race on Sunday and there were groups of cyclists out training. The ones we overtook passed us by again on the downward slopes clearly having a ball. We stopped just for a wee rest at Popi and discovered a gem of a town - a medieval castle with the oldest library in Italy - ancient books and charters and the rooms were well preserved with the original frescos and wooden beams. The castle was of course on the top of the hill and needless to say we climbed the bell tower for a better view! The bell rings every half hour and as we were right under it we were happy that we were in between the tolls!

Sandra and Paul are the English owners of La Torre the villa we were heading to and they had e mailed us very clear directions to Bagnoro the village just outside Arezzo. We hadn't realised that it was actually at the top of the highest hill - a steep incline on a single track! What a setting overlooking the countryside surrounded by olive trees vineyards and forests. The drive is a Roman cobbled drive - original through electric gates and into a haven! La Torre is so called as it was one of the largest of 12 look out towers dating back to Roman times and the remains are intact within the main house where Sandra and Paul live. They have the upper apartment and the barn below has been converted into a flat now. We asked why we never saw any animals and yet there are all varieties of cheese and pork and beef and we were told that the animals are generally kept indoors in the barns and the lower part of the houses!

The markets are everywhere and tomorrow we will head for Arezzo and have a browse.

The cottage we are in is a rustic stone and red brick building with a bathroom bedroom and large living dining and kitchen area- so tasteful with luxury bed linen and towels. Thye welcomed us with a bottle of champagne and large bowl of fresh fruit!

Vaz is the 9 year old black lab who is very friendly and Jim and he are bonding nicely what with ball throws!

Just about to have breakfast on the patio overlooking the pool.

Speak tomorrow.



xxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb