Sicily


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily
January 12th 2009
Published: January 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sicily is a very large area its so large it covers the largest amount of land in Italy. Sicily is also the largest island in the mediteranean sea.Sicily is also a very historical place i mean it is the mafia city but it has been colonized so much it's not even funny here is one story; in 750B.C the Greeks started taking over Sicily. As the Roman Empire was falling apart A germanic tribe called the vandals took over Sicily in 440 AD under the rule of King Giersic. The Vandals were a very strong tribe they had already taken over Roman France and Spain. Thet even started saying they were a very important part of Western Europe's power. Then an Eastern Germanic tribe took over and took all the possesions of the Vandals they were also disguised as Goths.Sicicly soon got tired of all this and went on the Ostogoth's qonquest. The Ostrogoth's conquest of Sicily ruled by Theadoric the Great started in 488 B.C, even though they were a Germanic tribe Theadoric wanted to revive Roman culture and government and allow freedom of religion. In 535 Justinian The I made Sicily a byzintine province for the first time. Greek became familiar to the greek's once again. When the power of the Byzantine empire started to dicline Sicily was attacked by Caliph Uthram's Arab forces in 652. Near the of the 7th century the Arab forcres took over a close by port in Carthage which gave them permanent place to build ships and sustain an attack.Sicily is not only known for it's history but it's mines are extrodanary as well.The mine of Enna has been the leading sulfur making mine since 19th century but have deacresed in the the 1950's. Sicily is a city that is not divided in tow's or village's it might have been a city state but it is split up into provinces, there are only nine provinces in Sicily they include Agrigento, Calltanisseta, Catania, Enna, Messina, Palermo which is the capital, Ragusa, Syracuse, and Trapani. The climate is mediteranean Climate with warm to hot dry summers, mild to warm wet winters. The transportation is very amazing they have trains that go through major towns and citie's and you can even go to Napals and Rome. Most of sothern Europe is populated by many immagrant's like Tunisians, Sri Lankian's and Moroccans. Sicily makes alot of food as well and wine too but i like the food better. The Food they cook is so good they call Sicily GOD'S KICTHEN. Thier food is good healthy and fresh. The ingrediants are fresh picked and the food is affordble to the people.My favorite's are the ice-cream, pastries and finaly my all time favorite Cannoli's. Cannoli's are tube shaped shell fried dough filled with a sweet treat usually filled with ricotta cheese. Cheese, pasta and rice are a mojor role of food in Sicily. Even though most sicilian food is based on sea food but they also eat goose, lamb,sheep,goat,rabbit and turkey. I persanally love all Sicilian food exept the cheese that is made of goat milk. Wine is a major growen product. The Netro D'Avola outside the city Noto. Sicily is a poetic city as well, This started with the Sicilian school which influenced the most known poets in Sicily and possibly in the world. My favorite poat that went the Sicilian school was Giovani gentile. I liked him because he actually came up with a philosophy of his own that proved facts but and thereos as well. I imagine sport to be the most important part of sicilian culture. Football has been in Sicilian culture since 1800's. Most of the Italian football clubs are Sicilian. The most famous of al football players is Salvatore Shillaci. He won the golden boot in 1990 world cup. His team was the only sicilian team to make the UEFA. Football is the most important part of Sicilian culture and i dont think that is going to change. Sicily is a wonderful place full of amazing food's and wine many historical events and also the most magnificant sites and i would recommend it any day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb