Taormina to Siracusa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Stromboli
May 14th 2015
Published: May 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Taormina to Ortigia

We had a short trip to the Aeolian island of Lipari. (Lipari is a small island which is easily navigated in a day or two. The volcanic chain is punctuated by the puffs coming from the nearby Stromboli and Vulcano islands. )

Back on the mainland, we headed straight to Taormina a rather ritzy place perched spectacularly on the cliff tops. We caught the local bus up to a small village Castelmola. The 3 euro return fare was terrific value for the great views and rather hair raising experience; narrow roads and hardly any room to pass approaching cars. Wines in an authentic antico/cafe on the square right at the top helped us wait for our return bus. The main street of Taormina is chock full or tourists but if you can bear that, it is quite something. We hiked up and down to the beach, not that easy, and I had my first Sicilian swim. Not many people in and then I saw a man who had been stung by a jellyfish- "We don't have jellyfish in Korea!"

We travelled south via a visit to Mount Etna. Caught the expensive cable car up, but not nearly to the top, then walked around a bit. Interesting but not a must-do in our opinion. I did like the steam coming out of the ground though.

We are currently in Siracusa or more precisely, the old part of the city, Ortigia. It is lovely. Very photogenic and easy to roam around. The market is fabulous and those tomatoes!!!! We had the best sandwich panini ever today at Caseificio Borderi in the market. The shopkeeper makes a marvellous spectacle of the whole thing. Will be hard to beat!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



14th May 2015

Fantastic
So far your trip looks amazing. Weather looks as though it is lovely We have been home a week and finally getting back to normal. Keep up the great photos on Facebook. Xx
14th May 2015
Teatro Greco, Taormina

Sicily
Wow Hillary, I can taste the tomatoes, yum. Beautifully written, feel like we are seeing it through your eyes, love to you both,,continue to enjoy x,jeanette
15th May 2015

GREAT photos!
It sounds wonderful guys. LOVE the photo of the dummy with the red petunias and the one at the market. Fabulous shots! I'm driving home from Moruya tomorrow - ho hum. Back to the rat race. It's been so peaceful here. Continue to have fun. L F

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb