Feels like Spring....


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Siracusa
November 16th 2009
Published: November 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 26 Modica

Yesterday we took the bus into Noto, about and hour from here, and walked around the baroque city for a few hours...everything here closes down from 1:00 pm to 3:00pm...so it's hard to plan a trip of any distance, since we end up arriving just before closing time at 1:00! We managed to see the cathedrals and the Theater after they reopened, and before our bus (the last of the day...since it was Sunday) left at 3:55....

Today we took the train past Noto to another baroque town: Modica. This city is located in a gorge carved by the river in prehistoric times. It was an important city in Greek times, and then passed through Romans, Normans, Spaniards, and now Italy....it was rebuilt after the 1693 earthquake that also leveled Noto and Siracuse...

The train trip was wonderful...we passed through endless citrus and olive orchards for hours.....with several views of the sea....the orchards were punctuated with farm fields, including glistening eggplants....It was veryb warm...in the 80's when we got to Modica! I was in a sleeveless dress, but the locals had on winter coats...I guess it is still fall, not matter the temp?

We
Morning CoffeeMorning CoffeeMorning Coffee

The bad thing about the hostel is that they only have instant....and it's true, Sicilian coffee is the best!!!
have seen pomegranates growing outside of Naples, but here there are mostly lemons and oranges in the orchards. Prickly pear cactus is everywhere and the fruits are sold as far north as Milan. (While they are not native, they are so much a part of the food here that few locals believe they could have been an import in the "Columbian Exchange" that brought tomatoes here as well!)

There are many plastic covered greenhouses everywhere here and on the mainland...I spotted tomatoes in some...and lettuce, I think.

Tomorrow we will stay in Sicacuse and visit the Archeological Museum (reputed to be the best in Europe), and then head back to Taormina, and then Rome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Waterfront, SiracuseWaterfront, Siracuse
Waterfront, Siracuse

There is only one beach here, that we've found, and it's private...
Street, NotoStreet, Noto
Street, Noto

The town was almost deserted until about 2:45....
Local youth, NotoLocal youth, Noto
Local youth, Noto

They like to ride their scooters very fast....
Sundial in ChurchSundial in Church
Sundial in Church

The sun comes through a small hole high up in the dome, and touches the right month at a certain hour...zodiac signs are also on this....it is right in front of the altar area.
Detail, building, ModicaDetail, building, Modica
Detail, building, Modica

Many of the buildings are decaying, but the details are so beautiful...
An investment opportunity!An investment opportunity!
An investment opportunity!

What do you think, Walter? It's near the station...needs some work....lots of great detail...Sicily is exploding...(sometimes literally...Mt Etna...)


16th November 2009

your money we're in.....
looks great could be a hotel or brothel.....Trips sound very cool with all the church visits you are really getting tight with the "Big" guy hedging your bets EH? Have fun in Rome and toss a few in the fountain for us.....Weather here sucks!!!
20th November 2009

Address change
Hi Lynn, If you can, please change my email address. Really enjoy your pictures.

Tot: 0.637s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 23; qc: 115; dbt: 0.1597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb