First day in Sicily


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Ragusa
September 26th 2011
Published: September 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 5

Up bright and early and down to the restaurant in the villas for breakfast as we didn't have time last night to stop and get any groceries. As usual it was the Italian way for breakfast but alot more than in Florence. Fresh pasterie's, meats, cheeses and lots of fruit. Capo's to start the morning and it was time to program Bonnie get on the road to Ragusa for our first day. Weather today is 25 and chance of rain. Wondered into Ragusa and found the car park and started the walk up into the town center and up to the Piazza. First stop one of the many churches along the way. As we where in the church the rain started and rain it did, slow at first and then it picked up steam. Good thing for us we where inside. We watched the rain just pour down the steps across the street (about 60 of them) it was just pouring down like an avalanche. 30 minutes it was time to move along and risk it as the umbrellas where down in the car. Wondering up the streets the buildings where in great condition and well kept and lots a renos on going at different sites. Many of the balcony's had old style Gargoyles under them and most where in great condition. When we got up to the first small square we decided it was time to find some. One of the main drags had the El Barrocca restuarant, wine store and hotel. The El Barrocca had a great selection of homemade pasta's, salads and pizzeria. Homemade ravoli and a tomato salad was on the menu along with a bottle of Cos Nero du Lupa. Cos is supposed to be one of the best small vineyards in the Ragusa area and the owner 's daughter is now a winemaker and has started her own winery. We perussed there wine store and I vowed to return as they had a great selection of all Sicilian wines and that's the way it seems to be everywhere we go. Rarely do you see any other wines on the wine menu other than Sicilian. At the end of the upper centro was 2 other churches, one under major reno's and the other on the edge of the town hill. With 15 minutes till our bus was to arrive to take us back to parking lot I thought I would return to my wine store for a small selection for later. As I was there it started to pour again, I zig zagged my way back and forth down the street hiding under cover so I could meet everyone on time. Meanwhile Lissa, Laura and Dan where standing undercover of a couples front entrance and where invited in to stay dry. Just something typical we have run across in Sicily.
Ragusa in the centro old part was a beautiful quiet area that we would return to again.
On our way back to our villa it was time to get some groceries for the next week. Nice supermarket, very clean and a great selection of all that was necessary.
Tonight we where back to the restaurant at the villa's and we weren't disappointed. Tonights wine was a Cos Frapatto which was paired nicely with dinner. Tomorrow where off to Noto and who knows where else the wind will blow us.

Advertisement



30th September 2011

Sounds like you\'re drinking way too much wine! Peanut is great and is sleeping at my feet right now as I write this for you. Weather has been great. We are expecting 24 degrees tomorrow but the the weekend is calling for cool and rain. Hope you are all well!

Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb