The Little Gem That is Noto


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Noto
May 26th 2017
Published: May 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

NotoNotoNoto

Looking down towards the cathedral.
Another early start to get some washing done so we can visit Noto. We also plan to Skype with family back in New Zealand. The time difference makes it perfect for us. Unfortunately there is a regional Internet problem so we miss the opportunity of catching up. Hopefully there will be another chance in a day or two.

Noto is about 40 minutes drive away. We decided on the pretend autostrada on our journey there, perhaps a more adventurous route on the way back. Arriving in the hilltop town Jane takes us through the middle along very narrow streets. It takes some time to find a park. It is nearing lunch time and as expected the locals are filling the streets in their little cars in an effort to get home. We find a large empty carpark without any sign of a payment machine. The worst that can happen is a clamp, perhaps a ticket, maybe nothing. We can but hope.

We choose a walking tour that starts up a set of steps between apartments. A woman in one apartment seems to be telling the world how difficult life is in such a wonderful place, or something like that.
NotoNotoNoto

Buildings next to the cathedral
We meander through the narrow streets all shuttered up to prevent Kiwi tourists from peering in the windows. The narrow roads and even narrower footpaths make it rather precarious sharing the space with parked and moving traffic. We come across a group of workmen settling down for their three hour lunch break. We are assured they have been busy since 7:00 am. They are working on repaving the roads. When completed it should make driving along these street a pleasure. We are assured we are on track to get to the Duomo.

As we start the descent down a large number of steps there are groups of tourists recording our progress with cameras, cellphones or tablets. One even has a movie camera. We get ready to sign autographs and wave to the admiring crowd only to realize a strip of a picture has been attached to the riser of each step and this makes for an incredible scene looking up from the bottom of the steps.

The Duomo and the buildings around the piazza have all been restored so the apricot color of the stone makes for a stunning view. Inside the Duomo is light and welcoming. It
NotoNotoNoto

Inside the cathedral.
has been restored after the dome collapsed during a 1996 earthquake. The plight of migrants attempting the crossing from North Africa gains world wide coverage. Several sculptures in the church have been constructed from the wreckage of some of these ill-fated crossings.

Outside are the usual tourist traps but one we hunt out, a gelataria. The name of the one we are looking for is Constanza. Once we find it we’re into another range of delicious wickedness. That’s lunch, we’re on holiday, and we can do this.

Time to retrace our steps and find the car. Up the colourful steps, past the workmen, along the narrow streets to the apartments and the woman. The woman must have a great voice box because she is still telling the world all about her troubles, her husband, her kids, her housekeeping, the heat, the dust, the flies, and anything else she can think of. She doesn’t miss a beat.

What a relief when we arrive back in the carpark. No ticket, no clamp, no dent or scratch, and four wheels still in place. Our drive back to our accommodation meanders through rocky countryside with deep gorges. We read somewhere that
NotoNotoNoto

Sculpture made from broken immigrant boats.
the deepest canyon in Europe is nearby. On arrival at our destination we notice a change in the weather. One thing we don’t want to bore people with is the daily blue skies and hot temperatures. This afternoon is different. It is clouding over and getting cooler. We soon get a light shower of rain and then it clears up again. Just as well we got home in time to get the washing in.

We have been trying to find a large supermarket. In our search today we came across a really modern shopping centre. Walking around we found an appliance outlet shop. Being in desperate need of an electric jug we made the big purchase of a very nice red and white bollitore. Nearby was a shop selling pillows. Some of us like nice soft pillows instead of the firm European ones. Another purchase made. This shopping centre will have its large supermarket in July, a bit late for us.

Tonight we dine on leftover bits and pieces. We’re sure to dine like lords in Agrigento.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

NotoNoto
Noto

One of two step murals.


Tot: 0.32s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb