First Entry


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Turin
April 9th 2011
Published: April 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

View of Alps from hotel roomView of Alps from hotel roomView of Alps from hotel room

Not a bad view - we are looking South West - Nice is just on the other side of that peak - I will do some research to find out what that peak is called -
Finally arrived in Torino.

Started Thursday, 7 April at 1400. Orlando > Washingtom Dulles > Roma > Torino. Debra met me at airport at 1430 on Friday, 8 April. Took taxi to Principi Di Piemonte, our home away from home until we find an apartment. The city has its beauty and its not so great areas but overall I think it will be great here. The Alps are ever present - sort of like CoSprings but the city skyline with its old world feel certainly differentiates the view. The hotel room is comfy but we know it will get cramped soon. We are already bumping int each other, that's not so bad. I'll post some pictures of the room when we get it cleaned up right now its sort of a disaster area.
We had a great dinner last eve at a place on the east bank of the Po River. It is called Brillio and the food was fantastic. Started with thinly sliced roast beef cooked medium rare over a bed of baby basil and greens. A sauce of capers and creamed scallion was spread over top. The next course was a pastry filled with green onion, asparagus and chive topped with a poached egg and covered with a sort of hollinase sause. Course 3 was hand made ravioli stuffed with assorted local cheeses and topped with crispy panchetta. The main course was a tender filet (it was breaded which was a little weird) and topped with a cream sause with a hint of white truffle. That was served with red beet and mashed potato. Desert was a delicious white custard with marscapone cheese and a chocolate sauce and fresh strawberries. Espresso topped it all off. Wine througout the meal was a great Barbera di Asti which went great with everything. Dinner started at 2000 and we left close to 2330. I was beat and crashed immediately after getting back.
So first day - not so bad - we start apartment hunting on Monday - the broker has us looking at 10 places that day, we'll see about that!
All for now - Arrivederci all my friends & family,
Gary & Debra


Advertisement



15th April 2011

Welcome to European Time
Can't help but to laugh at the fact that you started dinner at 2000 and ended at 2330... Europeans are just on a completely different time schedule - in particular Italy and Spain. I had many a long night just due to their dinner time. Sounded delicious though. Beautiful back drop of the Alps. Can only imagine you salavating over your future bike rides through them :)
16th April 2011

Greetings
Gary , Debbie hope all is well. How are you guys making out with the language gap.Keep on blogging so I can see more of those pictures. Sounds like the food is Delicioso , Talk with you soon. Stay well God bless JOHN
4th May 2011

Looks Great!
Looks and sounds like you found a very nice place! Just recently caught a House Hunters International in Torino, and was very impressed with your place (especially A/C, garage among other things) after seeing what the folks ended up with on HHI. The mountains look great--I really miss that here. Hope you both ski. And I'm sure the cycling will be great. Take Care, Ray P.S. Loved the Mickey ;-)

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb