Factory Shops and Stresa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Stresa
June 27th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

StresaStresaStresa

The back streets.
This morning the weather is a little kinder but we have the feeling any sunshine will not be with us for long. There is low cloud around the hills that climb above the lake. Our plan after breakfast is to visit the resort town of Stresa on Lago Maggiore, a short drive away. We have heard so much about this town we felt we needed to take the time and pay it a visit. Also on the list for today is a visit to two factory shops selling home wares. But first, breakfast.

Down in the bar the locals are in the middle of an animated discussion. We say a friendly “buon giorno” and receive the same in reply. Then the discussion continues. We feel on top of the world, the yachting world. We decide the discussion going on at a nearby table is deciding whether or not Lago Orta would make a great venue for Luna Rossa’s defence of the America’s Cup in 2025 and that Pettenasco would be a great base. Who would know what these men discuss over an expresso but it doesn’t take long and they’re off. Perhaps they are retired and have some chores waiting
StresaStresaStresa

Looking across the lake.
to be done. Needless to say they’ll be back again tomorrow. We enjoy our light breakfast and our regular waitress is friendly and is quickly learning the ways of these two Kiwi travellers.

As we drive towards Omegna people are out cleaning up after last night’s deluge. Some are collecting what is left of their gravel driveway and wheelbarrowing it back up the hill ready for tonight’s expected deluge. Driving through Omegna we take note of some shops we want to visit on our way back. But first we need to get to Stresa while the sun is trying to shine.

Driving into Stresa, on the western shore of Lago Maggiore, the view of wall to wall luxury hotels is mind blowing. They stand there with magnificent views across the lake. Just off the shore is a collection of islands with grand palazzos and manicured gardens. We have decided not today. As we park the car we are met by a collection of “sea captains” all wanting us to buy tickets to the islands. “But it is going to rain”, say us. “Not until 2:00 pm”, they say. “We better see the town first then”, is our reply.
StresaStresaStresa

One of the islands off shore.
And off we go. The shops sell high end goods with high end prices for the high end clients of the nearby hotels. We slum it up the alleyways looking at the tourist trinkets. We have time to promenade along the waterfront checking out the hotels for our next trip. It is noon and the rain starts. Just as well we didn’t go cruising today.

The tour party make a collective decision to return to Omegna and visit some outlets. The signage to one shopping centre leads us in little circles. Eventually we arrive at a large, reasonably new retail complex. As we exit the travelator there in front of us is the Bialetti shop. We already have a Bialetti electric jug but one item we do not have is a Bialetti Moka coffee maker. We have an induction cook top in NZ and today we find Bialetti have designed a Moka coffee maker for the induction cook top. Just as well we have 20 kg of extra baggage space. We make Mr Bialetti happy today. We also get a few spare filters and seals just in case, and a nice looking Bialetti coffee tin. We’ll be the envy
StresaStresaStresa

A line up of luxury hotels.
of Alexandra.

After lunch we head to our next stop, the Alessi factory shop. The car park has an array of German and Swiss number plates. We add our French one to the collection. What a magnificent showroom. The most incredible items of home ware on display. With an extra suitcase and very deep pockets we could be returning with Italian designer home wares that would readily feature in any House and Garden magazine. Fortunately we don’t have deep pockets. It was an amazing experience to go into this shop situated in the backstreets of this town set on the shores of a small Italian lake. Our next visit is to another kitchenware shop, Lagostina. There is a wide range of goods at discounted prices. This time we decide we need something to break open the hazel nuts from our tree. Every home needs the finest nutcracker from Italy. Our home now has one.

The weather is getting gloomier, rain is falling and it’s time to head back to Pettenasco. During a break in the weather we take the opportunity of visiting a nearby restaurant for dinner. We are the first to arrive an hour after opening time. All the staff are outside smoking. Not a good look. We have a choice of tables. We order. When the food arrives the plates are sizzling hot. Tonight we do not have pizzas. During our meal we can see the pizza chef going about his work. He is so skilful. As we leave we stop and talk to him. He shows us through the steps of pizza making. He doesn’t throw the base in the air but performs an equally intricate move. Within minutes the pizza is in the oven. This one will take two minutes to cook because it has buffalo milk mozzarella. He wants to come to New Zealand so his children can grow up in a happy place. Work appears hard to get for young people.

We leave the restaurant having made friends with the chef, the boss and the waitress. Our A380 is filling fast. Tomorrow we leave the lakes for the plains of Piedmont and the city of Turin, our last stop in Italy. Tonight we go to bed with the sound of thunder rolling around the hills.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.263s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb