Colico


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy
October 15th 2012
Published: October 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Colico
Our first day Colico was quiet - I was recovering and Jane was a champ and did the washing. It has taken three days so far to dry!

The next day we drove to Varenna to sus out the ferry timetables and to see what there was to see. On leaving we took a wrong turn, should not do that, and ended up heading back to Milan on the highway ss36. Hmmm, ok lets go off and look at Lecco another town down along Lake Como. What a bonus, another lovely town, larger than Colico or Varenna and frequented by locals and Italian tourists. We also found a great fruit and vege shop to build up our fresh food supplies. Jane made salami and vege pasta for tea and I cooked up vege soup for the next night. We also discovered it was not Friday it was Saturday, we had lost a day somewhere! Must really be on holidays!

I spent most of the evening filing photos into location folders then joined Jane and Ken who were playing golf. I did manage to win one or two hands but cannot say the cards treated me well!

Today we went to Varenna, Menaggio and Bellagio. Drove to,Varenna then bought a whole day ferry ticket each. This allowed us catch a ferry to Menaggio for a look see then another ferry to Bellaggio to check out that as well. Jane has managed to take "all the photos", it has taken 15 mins to transfer them to the computer so that will give you some idea of the scenery captured. At Bellaggio we had one of those holiday meetings! We met a lovely couple from London, Dawn and Lucas, who had just become engaged, he had gone down on one knee and all! They insisted we join them for a celebratory champagne, and then we discovered that Dawn did not like champagne but would drink it for form's sake! They were a riot, your probably had to be there but we had a blast. They have invited us to their wedding in St Lucia in the Caribbean too and have insisted on paying our way! It was that sort of night....er.......afternoon!

As Jane said meeting people while on holiday is so special, we felt the same way about Ken in Bagna di Lucca and the boys in Milan.

Tomorrow to Como for more exploring. Later in the week Ken and I are also going to see about hiring a boat and Jane is going to go horse riding.

A word about our apartment. It is fabulous. German designed and fitted out. It is one of four in this complex and there is another separate complex further down the hill about the same size, with an in ground pool and two marble topped tennis tables in between. Four bedrooms, two bathrooms and three toilets makes for very happy adult family arrangements. Jane has a great pad up stairs with a fantastic view, all the views from all the windows are fantastic. Colico is on the side of a lake and built on the side of a mountain. On the other side of the lake is another town also built on the side of the lake on the side of a mountain. So most of the town is in a valley, our apartment is on the side of the mountain and looks across the lake to the mountains on the other side. Can only repeat, fabulous views of snow capped mountains, cloud drifting through mountains, mountain reflections in the lake. Lots of mountain views really!

If you are wondering about my preoccupation with mountains, Colico can only be described as very different to the flats of Armadale! Bagna di Lucca was also in the mountains but somehow the perspective was different, it was harder to tell you were in the mountains due to the about of vegetation around you - have a feeling I am not describing this well, hope you can understand my meaning. It is getting a bit cold now so we may ask for the central heating to be turned on, if only to dry the washing! This would also be a great spot earlier in the season, but could be a bit crowded. Lake Como in general is a very pretty spot, I would recommend it to any body.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb