Vienna 2


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Vienna » Vienna
November 5th 2012
Published: November 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Vienna 2

The problem with writing a blog a week or so after it happened is that you forget some of the things that happened. How could I forget the visit to Schönbrunn Palace? Ken stayed at home as he was nursing a cold so Jane, Jenny, Stefan, Susanne and I went along. We took a tour of the palace, which is quite something to see. It was built to rival Versailles and, although not as sumptuous inside, is beautiful in its own right. The grounds include the Gloryette, a magnificent arched building which looks down to the lake and fountain in front of the Palace creating great views in either direction. The trees of the garden avenues were in full autumn colour and I am sure that in summer the gardens would be splendid with colour. There is a zoo and a palm house in the grounds and a large front courtyard. One of the paintings inside the Palace shows the carriages of the guests coming to Franz Joseph and Sissy’s wedding, I think there were over 70 carriages in the courtyard and the artist had captured in fine detail on each of the carriages the family crests of those attending.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0199s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb