Day 26 The Cuckoo, Como & The Lovers


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Sirmione
May 29th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Can there be a more irritating bird to other birdlife and man than the Cuckoo. First of all it lays its singular egg in the nest of another bird. Then, when the cuckoo youngster hatches, proceeds to sling the other eggs/chicks out of the nest. When the chick becomes an adult it sits perched upon a tree branch calling out its unique song from dawn till dusk...... pestering and driving campers mad. AAAAAAARGH! Why any one would think of putting the sound of a cuckoo in a clock beats me, although I hope the Amercians we saw, sizing up a £600 cuckoo clock in Austria enjoys there purchase-good luck to them.

Anyway onwards and eastwards. We set off today from Maggiore to discover the other large Italian lakes. We made a bit of an error, not only did we decide to break camp on a Sunday it must have been a holiday time for the Italians, and by the time we reached Lake Como,It seemed that the whole of Italy had decided to do the same thing, we couldn’t park anywhere, just drive around the Lake - it was beautiful though.
We took the car ferry across the lake, as it was getting late for our next destination, Lake Garda. We had little idea which part of the Lake to stay, but chose a campsite on the South of the lake, near the town of Simeone and Pescheira. These two towns are nice attractive towns with fortifications of various periods , but are heavily commercialised.
We aim to base ourselves here, to visit Verona where Romeo and Juliet lived. Like Como earlier these resorts were packed but managed to find a campsite to take us in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

OOPS!OOPS!
OOPS!

Either a joy rider, or a costly mistake - the bottom of this boat was trashed!
Castle at SimioneCastle at Simione
Castle at Simione

Unusual Castle this it has a dock for a few boats.
Camping at PiescieraCamping at Piesciera
Camping at Piesciera

We dont always get campsites with good views. This was in front of the Toilets - lovely..


13th June 2011

ice cream
watch your waist line kim !!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb