Days 24 & 25 Lake Maggiore and the Borromeo Islands


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Baveno
May 28th 2011
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Days 24 & 25 Lake Maggiore and the Borromeo Islands

Had an amazing lightening show over the lake last night, but were left with a cloudy rainy morning. Not used to this! We popped into nearby Verbania for supplies, hadn’t anticipated it would be shut 12.30-3pm for siesta.... got to get used to this culture change. We were after a reflector board to go on the bike rack, as we were illegal without it travelling in Italy. After a good walk around we found a likely campervan shop, but no one spoke English. My drawing in the air, and Kim pointing to a lady in a red top did not seem to help. Especially as we giggled after he had been pointing to the woman’s breasts! However the good nature and patience of the shop lady and we were sorted in no time.

The following day we were up early to bright sunshine and clear blue skies again. Drove into nearby Stresa an old town on the lake, with many large and beautiful Victorian hotels. Our plan was to take a boat to one or more of the little Borromeo Islands. As we parked we were completely bamboozled by an Italian boatman who, ‘helped us’ park up, feed the meter, and had us on a boat before we had time to realise our options! Got to Isola Bella on a little boat, with a promise of a second island but we had no idea what it would be! A magnificent 17th century palace took up the whole of Isola Bella, it had really beautiful rooms as you would expect, but amazing stone grottos below chambers. Also a lovely terraced and ornate garden, which made the island look like a ship. Our next island was not far on our little boat, Isola Pescaria, which was made up of many tiny alleys of beautiful old shops and restaurants. Time to relax, before we got the boat back to Stresa. An interesting experience, found out we’d paid a little more for our trip, than other organised ones.... something for us to watch in the future.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Interior of GrottoInterior of Grotto
Interior of Grotto

Palace on Isola Bella Its made completely of small pebbles.
BallroomBallroom
Ballroom

Palace on Isola Bella


31st May 2011

Well done you will be worn out
Lovely scenery and everything, some we have seen before. You both look very well but Kim could do with a shave...... Lets keep hearing from you. Mun and Dad xx
13th June 2011

Bella Bella
bet the ice cream is lovely !!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb