The First Supper


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
June 13th 2006
Published: June 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

MangareMangareMangare

Rafael, Yoshco, Tomase get their eat on.
This is really the same entry as the previous one but I felt since it describes our first dinner in Italy it deserves it's own space. Throughout all my travels the company has always been the highlight in every country, then the sights - both natural and man made. But here in Italy the food can take precedence over everything else - even when the alps are in the background or Roman ruins are around the corner.

Our first night did not dissapoint. We met our friends Paolo and Bronia at their home, just in time to see the end of the U.S.'s humiliation against the Czech Republic. I took it out on Paolo's kids, Rafael 10, Yoshco 8, and Tomase 6, by demolishing them in fusball. Actually, Tomase and I were tied 9 - 9 when we had to quit for dinner, which is the whole point of this entry.

From the kitchen of Chef Bronia:

We sat down to a table set with the following: blocks of parmesean, provelone (local) and pecorino (local), hard salami, sour orange marmelade, tuna stuffed peppers, sun dried tomatos (large and juicy), spicy cherries (candied like marachino but real cherries) and
Futbol or iPodsFutbol or iPodsFutbol or iPods

Gifts from the heart of Silicon Valley surprisingly took precedence over watching Italy vs Ghana.
homemade eggplant salad. Wine and bread accompanied everything of course.

For our main course we ate a seafood risotto (since Jennifer is allergic to seafood we also had traditional Risotto Milanese, which is a simple, but delicious, saffron ristotto) and finished up with stuffed tomatos before a custard pie and coffee for dessert. Tomase warmed up to Jennifer at dinner since he hates anything but plain and simple dishes. He was thrilled that he didn't have to eat the seafood dish. Like all of our neighbors' kids who just want plain speghetti noodles and nothing else.

I've laid out the menu but won't even try to describe how it tastes, except to say the meal was not a dinner but an experience.

Advertisement



20th June 2006

Italy as Food
Thanks for the culinary trip across Italy! Now I'm vicariously really looking forward to the daily entrees, er... I mean entries!
27th June 2006

Can you send some food to us?
Is there a FedEx or UPS around there? I'm wondering if you can send some of the Tuna stuffed peppers?

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb