A day in Bergamo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
June 13th 2006
Published: June 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We are writing this a bit late, we actually visited Bergamo on June 13th.

On this day we took the train out of Milan and went to the city of Bergamo. Once you arrive you can either stay in the Cita Basa, or you can take a bus to Cita Alta which is at the top of the hill. Given that all the tour guides say to go to Cita Alta, that's what we did. So on this hot, muggy day we took a 10 minute bus ride to the top of the city. The city streets here are so cute, with cobblestone walkways just wide enough for us and a tiny car to pass through. Here we saw more gelateria's per square kilometer than anywhere else we've been. The city is also famous for polenta cakes, but we were not so daring to try them. I like polenta, but in cake?

We spent the afternoon walking around the city, windowshopping and visiting a few sites. We went to the cathedral and a bell tower. Inside the cathedral were beautiful paintings, most with touches of gold. Then we decided to climb the bell tower nearby. Once at the top I (Jennifer) felt a bit uneasy because the floor beneath us was not flat, slightly tipped toward the edge of the tower. It was closely approaching 11:00am and a nearby bell tower began ringing. I told Andrew I thought we should leave because the bell would sound any second and he said "No, this one isn't going to ring." Just as he started down the first step however, it did ring and scared us both so much that we both tripped over a step and banged into the stone wall of the staircase. So much for the bell tower not ringing. We haven't timed our bell tower visits so poorly since.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb