day trip!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Como
July 1st 2008
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When i was in Milan we had a bus tour, which was very informative but nothing can make you feel more touristy.
Mini Summary of Interesting facts about Milan:
It is that most international city in Italy with the widest stock exchange. We saw the very impressive Duomo, a cathedral that started being built in 1386 and was completed in 1965. With the structure entirely made of marble and rosewood doors. There are 3600 on and within the Duomo. Mary is on the top of it and looks very small but she is actually 14 feet tall. It is a mastery of proportion. It's constantly being worked on and reconditioned the original building company resides across the street and are in control of the constant refurbishing. Because they are the original builders they have all of the records of the almost 600 years of building they are definitely the best equipped for the job.
Milan originally had many canals running through it mainly to get the marble to the Duomo. they have since been covered up because they were too expensive to maintain but the city is VERY humid.
The Galeria, which stands next to the Duomo is said to be the lounge of Milan it has the oldest Prada store in it!

After the bus tour, we took the bus to Lake Como. It was beautiful! It is a lake surrounded by mountains with a cute little town on one side of it. Como is the Leading producer of European silk. We poked around the town for a while I picked up some souvenirs and some silk to make a shirt with. Then we grabbed lunch by the lake. I had a caprice sandwich fresh mozzarella, tomato, spinach, and basil sauce. Then we were off to tour a silk, tie, and scarf manufacturer which is easier to tell about with these pictures. But we went to their design office and tie production plant (that was in the first building) and then about 15 minutes away they have their silk production and further design studios.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Duomo WindowsDuomo Windows
Duomo Windows

They made it with thin windows to support the marble ceiling.
La Galleria La Galleria
La Galleria

Oldest Prada
TrainTrain
Train

I would not want to go up this train track!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb