Cinque Terre


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Monterosso al Mare
July 10th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cinque Terre is a magical place. The region is made up small villages wedged between steep cliffs and the ocean. Only one of the towns (Monterosso del Mare) has enough space for a thin strip of beach. Most of the villages are very traditional in architecture and life style. The region was isolated from the general public due to the lack of public transportation until the 1930's. Only one of the villages, Mnarola, is inhabited year round. The rest of the towns are seasonal, April - November.
The cuisine in CT is different from the rest of Tuscany. There is a strong emphasis on fish, pesto and the best focaccia you will ever eat!
Swimming in the clear sea and hiking the stunning hillside trails is the source of entertainment. The water is so clean and clear you can see 30 - 40 ' to the bottom. There is hiking for all levels and the trails run from town to town. CT is a multigenerational family atmosphere. In the morning you can watch older women swim laps in the ocean and the beaches are filled with families the rest of the day.
We stayed in an one room condo hosted by a wonderful man named Filippo. Thanks to Filippo we were directed to tasty restaurants and beautiful sites.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb