Genoa Weekend!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Liguria » Genoa
February 24th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Jen and I took a midnight train out of Roma Termini to head to Genoa on Thursday. The cars had really neat seats that folded out into beds, but it was really cold in our compartment and I couldnt get comfortable so I didnt get much sleep at all. There was a nice lady from Genoa in the car with us who told us about some neat places to go visit while we were there.
We arrived in Genoa at 6am, but lukily my Let's Go Italy had a 24 hour Bar(cafe) listed, so we went and had cappuccini and cornettas, and did a bible study while we were waiting to check in at 8am to our bed and breakfast. The weather was beautiful, and we got to watch the sun rise as we sat in the corner booth under a circular staircase. The little couple that ran the place was so cute, I think they were quite suprised to have us so early in the morning.
We left the bar around 7:30 to find our Bed and Breakfast, and found it fairly easily. It was so cute, and the lady who runs it is very sweet. She told us all of the good places to visit, and the parts of town to watch out for, which made us feel a lot safer traveling around by ourselves.
Our first stop after the B&B Blue was the aquarium. The biggest in Europe! It was so fun! We walked through all the exhibits, watching huge sharks, cute little penguins, playful seals, and a ton of other amazing animals. They had huge tanks filled with different kinds of fish to touch--but afterwards my hand broke out in a burning rash for a while...lukily it went away. It was really nice to go in the off season on a weekday, there werent a ton of other people so we could really enjoy everything--even the big biosphere that simulated the jungle. There was the cutest bird that we got to pet and a ton of other cool animals.
After the aquiarium we wandered around the town, finding a ton of beautiful churches and archways, and even Christopher Columbus' house. It is so beautiful, set on a hillside next to the bay. I bought rose flavored chocolate, which really tasted like roses. We ate lunch at the cute little tipical Genovian place where I had pesto penne pasta, delicous rolls, and amazing grilled squid. It was soooooooo good! We spend the rest of the afternoon exploring, then went at 6 and saw Scribime una Canzone(scripts and lyrics--the one with hugh grant). It was really good but I was so tired that I fell asleep for part of it, lol.
We went to bed early and got up and went shopping for a while since it was raining. We had a late lunch at a really neat British Pub--fish and chips since we were on the coast for seafood and craving some ketchup. It was amazing! After that we caught our train for the trek home. The ride was amazing, we went directly along the coastline so we got to see the beautiful mountains and valleys covered with the typical Italian villages and churcheson one side, and the open ocean with massive rocks jutting out of the waves on the other side. Indescribable, so amazing! We came home and went straight to bed, so tired and wanting to get up for church this morning. Wish you were all here!

Advertisement



26th February 2007

Cool trip to Genoa
Thanks for the lighthouse pic I would love to see the real thing wow you got to hang out in a really neat back yard. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
27th February 2007

Happy Birthday Stacie!!!
Happy Birthday Stacie!!! I love all the pics and your journal entries are so fun to read. Keep 'em coming. Be safe...love pam

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb