Majestic Inspirations,,,,,D6PSG' blog


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio
September 20th 2018
Published: September 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Majestic Inspirations,,,,,D6PSG



<table style="width: 900px;"><tbody><tr><td valign="middle"><table style="width: 898px;"><tbody><tr><td class="label" style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px; width: 8em; color:󙀸">Start of travels:</td><td style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px;">Sep 14, 2011</td></tr><tr><td class="label" style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px; width: 8em; color:󙀸">End of travels:</td><td style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px;">Oct 05, 2011</td></tr><tr><td class="label" style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px; width: 8em; color:󙀸">About this blog:</td><td style="line-height: 1.5em; font-size: 16px; vertical-align: top; padding-bottom: 12px;">
Majestic Inspirations will document the travels of the Deck 6 Port Side Gang as we float our way from Barcelona to Venice on Oceana Cruises ship Insignia. Follow along...</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Let's get this party started!



San Francisco, California, United States
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

FINALLY! After 2 years of planning, thousands of emails - you think I'm kidding - unbelievable heartache, a few tears and a lot of love - the "advance team" is on its way!

The wait is finally over and today we board flight 900 bound for Frankfurt, Germany meet up with another intrepid traveler, and fellow advance team member then board the silver Air Bus to Barcelona Spain.

We'll be in Barcelona a few days to drink in its culture, architecture and most importantly ... Cava! We board the ship on Monday for our two week excursion ending in "La Serenissima" Venice, Italy!

We all have had a rough few weeks! If you've read previous entries, you'll know Mom has been in ill health for a while. She's still alive, I know - AMAZING! She suffered a major heart attack over Labor Day weekend - and survived - energizer bunny - look out! She's one tough broad... no question. So, once again we leave with hopes that we get to see her once again, but if not - we're OK. Life has been good for her, and she knows how much we love her. Sometimes I think she does this out of jealousy ... I know how much she would LOVE to travel again! Like us, travel is her passion.

This time the trip is dedicated to one amazing woman who, at the last minute, had to cancel. Unfortunately, Miss Liz will miss this majestic journey. The unbelievable heartache here, is her son's battle with cancer. He's much too young to have to deal with this disease, so we all salute Miss Liz, wish her well and hope for her son's speedy recovery and good health. As promised, we shall raise a glass to them both in each port of call - THAT ought to do the trick!

So - here we are patiently awaiting the car to get us to SFO and on United Flight 900 for Frankfurt. Wish us well - trust us - we've earned it!

Check in later....

Buon Dia



Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Thursday, September 15, 2011

We made it!

The trip was uneventful, though long. Our connection in Frankfurt came off without a hitch for us, but alas, one of the party was late arriving, so came in on a later flight. Her plane was delayed in Dulles, due to thunderstorms - yikes.

Of course I had a crazy woman sitting behind me who would turn around in her seat thus hitting the back of mine - not so bad really, BUT she did this CONSTANTLY. She fidgeted all night long - she's lucky to be alive! I'm just sayin....

Barcelona is beautiful beyond belief; the people are so wonderful, the food amazing and the weather is HOT & Humid!!!

We arrived this afternoon with little fanfare (um...welcoming committee???). We of the advance team are laying the groundwork for those "easties" who shall follow.

After a quick shower, we hit the streets. La Ramblas here we come. WOW...what a boulevard! We found la Boqueria and ate our first gelato of the trip...excellent comfort food...particularly in this heat.

Dinner This evening was early - by local standards. Based upon the hotel recommendation, we dined at a Tapas bar around the corner. Excellent.

I can't wait to get to sleep...in a real bed...I think I'm just going to pass out.

Bus Tour



Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Friday, September 16, 2011

Breakfast was wonderful, and included with the room. Our hotel is VERY centrally located, we're just around the corner from a few major Gaudi homes. Christopher is in heaven. The architecture of Barcelona is charming and quite unique.

Our first excursion was to see the city via the tourist bus. So, we braved the heat, sat in the open air on the top of the bus and let the sea breezes cool us off as we tooled around this beautiful city. We took the red line first which takes you from downtown to Mount Juiq (not certain of the spelling) around the Olympic stadium to the port and back to the center of town.

After a quick lunch of tapas (what else?) we boarded the blue bus (included in the ticket price for the red line) and saw the other "half" of Barcelona. This excursion features the Sagrada Familia (HUGE) and other Gaudi structures. We shall attempt to visit the Gaudi buildings either Saturday or Sunday. More than likely we'll do it Sunday, as the stores are closed (WHATEVER)!

After the tour bus we decided to take the overhead tram to the port...unfortunately, we selected the wrong one, and ended up on the tram which looped from the castle and back, on Mt Juiq. OOPS. After a few confused looks and some minor discussions, we made our way to the correct overhead tram...only to find it closed for repair (WTF it was Working 2 hours earlier). Maybe it was best - wouldn't want to be on it when it breaks - way too high in the air!

We got down to the port via the red line (ticket still good - I'm telling you SUCH a deal)! We wandered the port a bit - this is where we shall depart on Monday (YES)...then made our way up La Rambla back to the Hotel for a nap before our early (by Barcelona standards) dinner.

Dinner tonight was at TENORIO...Christopher and I started with truffled canneloni - beyond orgasmic; our main was veal T-bone - cooked to perfection! All in all a wonderful meal, excellent wines and we all were STUFFED to the gills!!! Ah, we're on vacation - what else are we going to do...and we'll work it off no doubt.

After dinner Chris and I went for a walk - the night air was still warm, but less humid - actually quite lovely. We are just off the main high end shopping district - thank goodness we are on a VERY tight budget - otherwise I know someone who might just want to do a lot of shopping.

So, the end of another glorious day here in Barcelona. I could get used to this!

Ambling La Rambla



Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Saturday, September 17, 2011

This morning we got up just in time to shower and make it downstairs for our breakfast meeting. That was close!

We all chose to do different things today. One went to the Picasso Museum, the other two decided to tour some churches (not our first choice - even for the art) and we decided to "get lost" - which is our FAVORITE thing to do in a foreign city. We find it exciting not knowing what's around the next corner.

We toured the Gothic Quarter - and I didn't even know it! We found a few lovely parks where we say families playing with their children, and just walked and walked - always traversing La Rambla. Just what we both like to do so very much.

We went back to La Boqueria and bought some spices, salt and Chris got a great lunch bag - he's VERY excited about his new purchase!!

After walking for hours we returned tot he hotel only to see the second group arrive! THEY had a welcoming committee (not bitter or anything)! After a group hug and lots of laughs, they went up to their rooms to become human again. So, I made my way down to the computer room to get things going on the blog.

Well - tonight should be another wonderful night of dining, laughing and a few sips of Spanish wine. Well...maybe a little more than a few sips!!!

Back to Tenorio is the plan for tonight - we know what to expect.

Ciao...

All Gaudi all day!



Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday and we're expecting rain! Oh well - won't dampen our spirits one little bit!

We started the day with our usual breakfast at the hotel - quite nice - the best scrambled eggs evah! So smooth and creamy - gotta have cheese of some kind in there - oh well, we've been doing a lot of walking these last few days - it shouldn't hurt us too much.

Our trek to the Park Guell began on the Barcelona Metro - a VERY user friendly metropolitan transportation system (are you listening MUNI?). Runs on time as well, a holdover from the fascist regime?

The park was much larger than I anticipated and just as beautiful as I'd heard. Gaudi was truly an artist. We spent a great deal of time wandering through the park took a LOT of pictures (investing in the new camera has been a blessing). The grandeur of the space and Gaudi's design of the park make a truly peaceful space - NOW...if the illegal vendors would just leave! We spotted a lookout sounding the alarm and within a matter of seconds they all had wrapped up their wares and scattered to the four winds.

Upon leaving the park, we hiked to the Metro and ended up at Sagrada Familia - under NO circumstances were we going to wait in a two hour line to see a church, let alone an unfinished one. the skies were looking a tad bit ominous, so we needed to plan our strategy for avoiding the oncoming deluge as much as possible. Our solution....well, food of course!

We dined on the Boulevard Gaudi, and sampled some of Barcelona's finest tourist trap Tapas! Quite good actually. The rain started, only a slight drizzle, but the sky was black - the deluge was coming.

After lunch we walked up the boulevard, on our way to see the Hospital we were told we "should NOT miss" - well, we got there and the entire facade is behind scaffolding, and visquine. We won't be seeing anything today - or anytime soon! The rain is nothing but a few drops here and there - no big deal...

We made our way back to the Boulevard de Gracias, and visited the gaudi Apartment building, La Peredrea (I think that's the name - I'll correct later). AMAZING! So beautiful, both of us took pictures of every curve, tile and stair - just beautiful.

After this, we walked across the street and down a few blocks and entered the Casa Batillo. Another Gaudi masterpiece. Between the two houses we spent a total of three hours admiring his craftsmanship and artistry. Just beautiful.

Dinner was planned for the Bar Champanyet - but...CLOSED! Oops. On our way to the bar, we intersected a MAJOR protest against Government cuts. The protesters were NOT happy and quite loud. Kinda interesting. Finally dined at a simple restaurant, Hermonia? Well, something like that - a nice meal of pork and were were done. After, we walked to OhLa Bar and watched a room full of drunk American's make fools of themselves - we spoke in Italian so as not to attract attention or come off as Americans. Our bartender was Italian - and quite handsome - but we sat in an obscure corner.

Home to bed as we get aboard the Ship on Monday!

On to Insignia



Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Monday, September 19, 2011

After a quiet late breakfast, we checked out of the hotel and piled about 30 pieces of luggage into the van and we all piled in for out trek to the Ship! we were 8 travelers with about 30 pieces of luggage - and we all packed light! Oh well....

The ship was docked WAY out of town at the far end of the port. Our driver left us off right in front and we all waited in breathless anticipation while the poor guy unloaded all that crap! Jeesh - we gotta find a better way of packing!

Immediately, we run into trouble - I guess you need your travel documents to get on board ship...DUH! Well, we had them in the luggage, which was now making its way onto the ship....OOPS! We ran after the bags, and we all got our travel documents. After making our way through the maze of documents, pictures, health and security checks - we were ON THE SHIP!

Waiting for us on the Ship were our intrepid final group of travelers from Southern California! They made it - and none the worse for wear - considering they had been up for at least 24 hours! They looked great and we were ALL thrilled to see them.

A light lunch a nice visit, and finally our rooms were ready. We unpacked and made our way to the Grand Dining room for a lovely meal and some wine - warning - this group can drink. I mean we can DRINK! but we never get drunk...well... most of the time.

We were warned that the seas might be rough tonight. Oh well, doesn't really matter - we are on board and ready to rock and roll (but not literally)!

If this boat's a rockin, don't bother knockin'



Marseille, Provence, France
Tuesday, September 20, 2011

OK - we were warned - but SERIOUSLY?? We really moved all night - and I don't mean in a good way. We didn't get sick, but let's just say the boat had a difficult time of deciding which way to rock, either side to side, or front to back - and vice-versa! Made for an interesting night!

We awoke in Marseille! Could be worse.

Our plan was to make our way to Aix en Provence. We thought we would take the train, but were advised the bus was faster and MUCH cheaper and more reliable - so...off we went. The trip to Aix was fast and easy. Some of the gang chose to take tours of Marseille or the tour of Avignon; all liked their respective tours.

We arrived in Aix, and made our way to the city center. Upon arriving at the city center, we were rather startled by a homeless woman wrapped from head to toe in what one might describe as a silken Turkish rug - lots of scarves perhaps? Who knows - she was entirely enshrouded - EXCEPT for one VERY important part....and of course she chose the exact moment, when I looked her way (see...she was shouting in some language I had no experience with - and could VERY well have been gibberish for all I know) to expose her unclothed part. Let's just say it was NOT what I had expected to see and leave it at that.

After our disgusting introduction to Aix, we looked for a calm way to visit this most beautiful of cities in Provence. We got our map and proceeded to do what we do best....wander!

We cane upon a charming open air market with an amazing assortment of fruits, vegetables, bread, cheese, herbs and spices. All sold by their makers or farmers - truly the way to live (and eat)! Of course we took pictures of the cheese for Steve...surely he would be most upset at having missed this display and experience. We saw artisanal cheeses we'd never seen before. Truly beautiful - now I wish we had bought some. RATS!

Lunch was a simple salad with the local aperitif RICARD. An anise flavored yellow libation which turns cloudy when mixed with cold water - a most refreshing libation!

We walked around the town some more, then made our way back to the bus - avoiding one street in particular for obvious reasons!

Once back in Marsaille, we took the metro from the train station, to the vieux port. Another metro we can cross of out list - MUNI...they do you one better as well...just sayin'. We choose to wander the port area and gave up after realizing that we had already seen the most beautiful part of Provence, and Marsaille could not match Aix in the least.

We headed back to the ship, via the free shuttle provided by Oceania, and took a nice rest before dinner with the gang. A nice evening, and off to bed.

Ban du Soleil, for that St. Tropez tan......



Saint-Tropez, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ah, Saint Tropez!
BEAUTIFUL!

We took the tender to shore and walked, and walked, and WALKED all day long! We didn't even stop for lunch.

We wandered all over town - and just walked to our heart's content. We made our way to the outskirts of the old town up high, near the park - and came upon a most interesting sight. there off to the left, was an old fashioned laundry - done by hand. We just missed someone doing their sheets and towels, as they were recently left out on the line to dry. Paula would be in HEAVEN! So...we took a picture.

Stores close at 1, and reopen at 3 (typically) - and since we got a late start, we choose to power through the town as much as possible, and if a store was open, well, FINE!

We walked to the beach and saw our ship off in the harbor - quite a sight! We wandered back to the port, and decided to partake in a gelato and buy some wine for the "cocktail" party in Pete & Judy's room before dinner at TOSCANA tonight. We procured our gelato and walked to the store, but decided to wait on the booze, as we didn't wish to lug it around all day. We sat in the town square and ate our melting gelato. Did I mention it was HOT! I mean HOT! Really, REALLY HOT! After we finished our gelato, we ran into Beth Ellen, Steve & Paula - we HAD to show Paula the laundry. We walked up the hill to the old shed and Paula was indeed, as we expected, in her GLORY! Yes, there is a picture of her "doing the laundry"!

We continued the tour with the now five of us, and wandered back tot he beach (where I collected some sea glass) and we took some more pictures. we separated again from the group (they needed to dine) and we needed to SHOP! Chris bought 2 shirts, and I one. The most charming woman assisted us and gave us QUITE a deal on these original designs made in France(boy, I HOPE they are made in France!). Anyway we love our new purchases and are quite happy.

We returned o Insignia, and decided to take tea, as we did not have a proper lunch - and dinner was early tonight. Tea was quite civilized - as it should be! We finished there, and had to get ready for "cocktails" on our veranda.

We opened the partition between Pete & Judy's veranda and ours so we could truly enjoy the company and "spread out" while enjoying our drink (or drinks) of choice! Quite lovely.

Dinner was at Toscana - we were in the back and rather rowdy for such a sedate dining room! We celebrated Lee's birthday in style.

Dinner was sublime - the artichoke timbale was simply out of this world! Just superior...MUST have this recipe - probably takes a LOT of work, but we can do it!

Steve ordered a cake at the last minute - they weren't certain they could accommodate this request, but with grace and style, the chef came through! The coffee chocolate torte was divine!!!

After dinner we had cocktails at the Insignia lounge and "enjoyed" the show. Oceania is known for many things, but entertainment is NOT one of them. That's all I have to say about that!

Another late night, off to bed for tomorrow we arrive in Monaco!


I wonder what the poor people do? (a poor attempt at sarcasm, perhaps)



Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Thursday, September 22, 2011

I'll tell you what they do...they walk all day in Monaco and DROOL over the cars and yachts! Well, that's what this poor person did! You know you've arrived in "paradise" when the car for the everyman is a .... Mercedes Benz! Never before have I seen more: Bentlys, Astin Martins, Lamborghinis, Maseratis, you name it...Luxury. My kinda place, Monaco is.....

We took the tender to the harbor in Monaco and just delighted in the view. Each yacht was bigger and better than the next. Or course, we were in town for the yacht show - think we could score a ticket? Think there's a raffle for a yacht? Don't they do that kinda stuff at these shindigs?? I WISH!

We saw MULTI MILLION Dollar Yachts! No joke. I mean MONIED people. Bitter doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. Sigh....I'm happy - I just keep telling myself this, and repeat it often enough and I MIGHT even begin to believe it!

Pete & Judy, Lee & Perry and Chris & I wandered over to the Palais du Monaco for the changing of the guard. London does it better. But, again, in this land of excess, maybe less IS more? NAH!

Once the guards changed, we entered the palace for our tour. May I just say - not a bad spread if I DO day so myself. Some of the fabrics need a bit of repair, but I might be a little worn after three hundred years or so as well....just sayin'. Not a bad place to rest ones head....no one was beheaded in Monaco...were they???

We were dressed to enter the Cathedral (long pants) JUST in case. Well - naturally it was HOT. We were overdressed for the cathedral. Shorts were fine - just no bathing suits! WHATEVER! When I say this place cherishes Princess Grace, I mean they WORSHIP her! There are pictures of her ALL over the place. Her tomb is rather simple, yet elegant. Not unlike the woman.

We plodded over to the Casino. Lee & Perry went in (there goes your inheritance Doug) and the rest of us went to the Cafe du Monte Carlo for a drink and some shade. Turns out Lee & Perry didn't gamble ALL that much - but Doug....I'd find another way to get rich!

We made it back to Insignia and collapsed. Chris & I went to the pool, the others went into hiding.

We all met up, surprisingly at dinner. We chose to eat on the aft deck. Who knew Monaco could look so beautiful at night? I'm gobsmacked by her beauty. I only wish I could afford to live here - part-time is acceptable!

Tomorrow....ITALY!

The Port of Dolphins



Portofino, Italian Riviera, Italy
Friday, September 23, 2011

Portofino, Italy

Port of the Dolphins - Porto Delphino - Portofino…..not too difficult is it?

The village of Portofino - is a small burg on the Italian Riviera. We took the tender from our ship bobbing along in the Mediterranean for those brief few minutes as the city grew large before us. Portofino is one of those enigma villages. On the surface, its a sleepy little town with amazing views of the sea. Well, we ALL know differently don't we! In the small port were yachts, some we saw yesterday in Monaco - these sea faring homes away from home for the UBER-rich beat our shorts off arriving in Italy WELL before us! These "boats" were MASSIVE - at least 4 stories and a minimum of 400 feet long. We're talking millions of dollars here folks!

The village of Portofino is a shopping Mecca. As we strolled along the port we came upon stores like: Louis Vuitton, Missoni, Dior, Ferragamo, Zegna, Brioni (you get the idea). We were beyond frustrated….all this beautiful booty and my booty is JUST too big! So, no clothes for me, well, there is the issue of cost to consider as well, but HELL…its only money…right???

We all gathered in the village square and decided to take the bus to Santa Margherita, since a trip to the Cinque Terra was out of the question (too long and too unreliable for our early departure). So…on the bus we went.

OK…may I just say, the bus drivers on the Italian coastline are WAY underpaid! And, I'll bet under-insured! GEESH…talk about white knuckles. The poor woman next to me (an Aussie from the ship) finally gave in and hid her eyes - she JUST couldn't take it any longer. I think the final straw came when we rounded the corner and we only millimeters from the retaining wall - which was, by the way, holding back the entire mountainside. So, we had a mountain on one side, and a sheer drop on the other…..AND we were passing a car! Upon disembarking from the bus, I remember thinking….LET'S DO IT AGAIN! Another gentleman shared…"that's what we used to call an E-ticket ride" - I, of course, concurred with a chuckle.

Santa Margherita a charming "city" also located on the Italian Riviera just a hop skip and a jump from Portofino. The beaches are quite nice and at this time of the year, not nearly as crowded as one might find in the dead of summer, but populated nonetheless. Well, it was another postcard perfect day - save for the haze. Another hot day in the making. Upon arriving, we all split off into our own little groups. We choose to "hang" with the P's & R's. the Sharf's & BEF took off on their own, and Miss Ronnie was in search of yet another beach towel for the Naples manse.

We roamed around Santa Margherita with a scheduled meeting time of 1:15 for the return to Portofino. Our group went a wandering along the promenade, then cut into the city via a tunnel which took one either to the train station, or beyond and above the terminal (really just a whistle stop). While trekking along the road in the intense heat we realized it was time to grab a nosh and relax our weary tootsies. We found a charming little cafe and ordered: Chris & I -Campari & soda, the ladies got their white wine, the gents ordered a sodas. We thought that would be it - but NO…they then brought us some pizza and some focaccia and other little noshes - PERFECT! We then roamed around the streets did some shopping and returned to our assigned meeting point.

The trip back to Portofino was spectacular! We choose to take the boat as opposed to the bus - why not get the full effect of the gorgeous Italian coastline?! So, indeed, we did! Upon arriving in Portofino, we wandered around a little more then returned to the ship for another wonderful evening of eating! Dinner tonight.....ostrich! YUM - a first for me. Any weight I've lost and surely been found (rats)!

In Vino Veritas




Florence, Tuscany, Italy
Saturday, September 24, 2011



Livorno, Italy

Fiesole & Firenze

We arrived in Livorno early, attended breakfast and met up with BEF & the Sharf's at our appointed time. Gotta give it to the Sharf's - ready on time, and ready to roll - at this early time in the am - SO PROUD!

Our plan for the day is to take the train into Firenze, then transfer to a bus and head on up to Fiesole - but like all good plans…they ofttimes go astray! We arrived in Firenze with no trouble - made our way to the bus terminal only to find out our bus is on the other side of town - So….hire a taxi agree on a price and go for it! We got a pretty good price and were in Fiesole in 15 minutes (so much faster than the bus).

Fiesole is a beautiful Etruscan village perched high atop a hillside overlooking Firenze. The view of the Duomo off in the distance and the Arno river valley is breathtaking! We tried to get to Fiesole last year, but alas, the rains kept us at bay - plus…COLD! It was bloody cold in April when we arrived in '10. The five of us emerged from the taxi in the village square. A tiny market set up in the square greeted us attracting locals and tourists alike. Fresh pasta, breads and cheese - lots of cheese…I know Steve was in heaven what with the cheese selection. Surprisingly, he did not make a purchase, but DID take a sample! Good Man!

The Amphitheater is located just off the square through an arch. It now costs a minimal fee to enter the historic area (not so in 1979 - but then, there was FAR more uncovered since then)! The entry fee is well worth it! A new museum displaying finds from the dig of 1988, as well as the baths were just so beautiful to see on this glorious but not too hot day. We spent well over an hour traversing the ruins and just exclaiming AMAZING over and over again.

Our walk through the ruins made us hungry (surprised?), so we found a little cafe at a hotel and sat under a shady trellis overlooking the Arno river valley. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. It could be worse! The Duomo was feared between two flowering bushes (don't ask me, I'm not a horticulturist). We made a meal of pasta, bread, beer, and salad…it could be worse! We dined slowly, as the Italians have perfected, and just relaxed under the Tuscan shade. Sigh….

We were ready to return to Firenze, and decided to take the bus back. We got to the square, and there ready for us was our carriage to return us to town. Timing is everything! The trip to Firenze took a matter of 30 to 45 minutes via the bus - again…Italian bus drivers are WAY underpaid for what they have to endure! We got off at Piazza San Marco, and walked the few blocks to the Duomo.

If I recall, the exact words were "Holy F@#%!^(MISSING)ng Catholic" when a certain someone espied the Duomo for her first time. We all got a charge out of that, and stood a little off to the side….just in case! Out of the range of "fire" if you get my drift! BEF took a ton of pictures of the Duomo and the Baptistry. Off in the distance we heard the steady beat of drums growing closer and closer. We wondered what the heck was going on. Then the police started clearing the streets - immediately my mind went to a protest of some kind - the economy and all…but NO! It was a procession of robed men and women in renaissance costumes marching in front of banners from different regions of Tuscany. Behind the banners marched a drum and bugle corps of some kind also in full renaissance dress. Quite impressive. Then the purpose became clear. The blessing of the wine! It is the end of the grape harvest and the celebration of the release of the new chianti! WELL…wasn't THAT fortuitous!!! Naturally, without hesitation, Steve procured a 2 litter bottle of the magic elixir for dinner later! YES.

As with ALL visits to Firenze, we made our usual pilgrimage to Fratelli Rosetti. Unfortunately, we think we corrupted BEF she is now a devotee! She found THE perfect pair of shoes, but unfortunately not available at this store in her size. Chris, of course, bight a pair of beautiful suede chukka boots.
Our purpose for the visit, not only to show Chris and the gang Fiesole, was to FINALLY get to sit and sip at the Le Volpi e l'uva (the wolf & the grape). We tried to get in last year, got lost and arrived just as they were closing. I was determined to get there this time! And we were MOST successful. Guess in the off season they close early. We arrived in time to see the winding down of a bachelor party. The groom to be was clad in a pink wig, wearing bike silks and the famous "David" shorts - which I may add are anatomically correct, if you get my drift! They were singing, drinking and otherwise having a wonderful time! We loved it!

We sat down and started in on a Brunello (BEF, C & I) The Sharf's started out with a Vernaccia, from San Giminiano. We ordered a plate of cheese, crackers and other nibbles and sat and drank for at least 2 hours. BLISS! This is what travel should be! I think we drank 2 bottles of wine if not more. We were all SO happy. After the wine experience, we needed to get to the Gelateria Steve found in '07, and we could not find in '10. SO….off we went. Well, imagine our chagrin as we discovered we must have passed this place at least 2 dozen times last year without knowing! Oh well, NOW we know where it is. Gelateria Neri is near Santa Croce off the square between SC and Piazza Signoria. Now we know! The gelato was just as good as I remembered.

As it was getting late, we needed to return to the station to get our train back to Livorno. We arrived back on board the ship around 11:00 pm. A long but NOT exhausting day. Knowing that everyone enjoyed our day and the time together made the day WELL worth while! Another perfect day in Italy and another experience for the books!

Under the Tuscan Sun



ucca, Tuscany, Italy
Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lucca,

Our next day in Livorno we decided to check out Lucca, a charming ancient walled city located in Tuscany. We loved the charm, but even for a Sunday, this is QUITE a sleepy little burg. We only spent a few hours walking around town, taking a lot of pictures, and just soaking it all in. At one point we had talked of Lucca as a permanent home - but after further deliberations - NO WAY! We need a bigger city.

One thing I did notice about Lucca...if you're going to have a dog, it MUST be a Jack Russel Terrier. I mean everyone has a JRT...EVERYONE! What's up with that?

Earlier in the day I got a Facebook post from my cousin, Catia in Montelibretti, Italy. We had found one another earlier in the month, she contacting me via Facebook. She remembers our trip in 1968, and the wedding of her Uncle - the family was there for the festivities (think Michael's Wedding from the Godfather - Identical….I mean IDENTICAL)! She posted to my wall that she would like to see me when we get to Rome tomorrow! AWESOME! So we chatted with one another - not so easy, my Italian is not so good, and neither is her English! We'll work it out. We decided to meet at the Piazza Navona and I would wear a plaid blue shirt. Nervous, excited, emotional, scared - you name it I felt it!

La Mia Cugina



Rome, Lazio, Italy
Monday, September 26, 2011

Rome

Originally, we had planned a ship day today. What with us meeting Catia we decided to join the Sharf's for a trek into town.

I did not sleep last night. I'm so excited to see Catia. I know this would mean a great deal to my late father - who always asked if I met up with any family while in Italy….which I had never done. This time, I would do Dad proud, and with his side of the family. Nice!

We caught an early(ish) train to Rome arriving in Piazza San Pietro around 10:30 or so. Saint Peter's square was not too crowded at this hour, but still a TON of tourists. BEF commented that she did not need to enter CHQ (Catholic headquarters)….gonna have to stand WAY far away from that girl else we get hit with a bolt of lightning (just saying). We gathered ourselves wandered around the square and made our way to the Metro for a trip to the Spanish Steps, Piazza di Spagna. The metro ride was quick and easy. We were on a quest. We remembered a Fratelli Rosetti store near the Via Condotti (shopping mecca) and thought we might find BEF's shoes in her size. After a few twists and turns, we found our pot of gold. The FR store was just in front of us. In we walked, and 30 minutes later BEF walked out with THREE pairs of shoes. SO PROUD! Brought a teat to Christopher's Eyes….I gave her an atta girl. My fears were realized…we have, indeed, created another FR groupie! YES! Her shoes, by the way - are just gorgeous! She rocks each and every pair with style and grace. YOU GO GIRL!

After the exhausting time shopping (we did NOT by anything - which in and of itself is exhausting) - we decided to eat a little something. We found a sidewalk cafe and ordered our lunch and wine. Unfortunately, we were cutting it close with our appointed time to meet Catia. We waited, and waited and WAITED until finally luncheon had arrived…except for Chris'…he ordered a pizza, but it was forgotten (lost in translation perhaps). We all shared whatever we had with poor Chris and gorged on buccatini with gusto. Quite nice in fact. Lunch was quick as we had to make our way to the Piazza for our 2 pm rendezvous.

The Piazza Navona was not far from where we were located, we made it there promptly at 2. I took the BlackBerry out - just in case we needed to call and find Catia. As i pulled the phone out, I got a call from Catia's son; telling me his mother is on the square looking for us. I got no more than 2 steps and up walks Catia, arms outstretched greeting me with a BIG warm hug. I was delighted! She is BEAUTIFUL! Her husband is quite handsome, and truly a mans man. I can't believe I've forgotten his name. Shame on me!

We found a cafe got some water (it was hot and humid) and proceeded to visit. She remembered me from her uncle Bruno's wedding. She remembered me climbing up the staircase in her father's home (an ancestral home if I'm not mistaken) to change into my suit for the wedding. I remembered but was flattered that she, a mere three years my junior should remember as well. We sat and chatted - I was doing well until she brought out the pictures. When I saw the image of my great grandfather I completely lost it, THEN she said she wanted ME to have the pictures, I REALLY lost it. My emotions got the best of me. I know my father, wherever he is was smiling at that very moment. I was overcome by so many different feelings….my father's untimely death, my mother' s recent heart attack and memories of Nonno & Nonna long gone - it all came back to me in one tsunami of emotion. She had pictures of My dad and is siblings, Grandparents, great-grandparents, distant aunts and uncles - Just AMAZING! Most of the pictures are over 70 years old!!! Some from 1933, and some from even earlier. I was so grateful and thankful…and then and there I lost my ability to speak Italian!

Think I could remember my cousins names? Think I could remember my siblings names? NOPE! I was completely gobsmacked!!! They had to rely on Christopher for conversation. Finally, I felt better gained a little control of my feelings, and was able to converse with them again. I am SO VERY lucky! how fortunate I am to be on this trip with so many people whom I love and love me in return unconditionally. Then to put the cherry on this lovely dessert, I get to meet up with my beautiful cousin from Montelibretti, Italy. La Vita Bella - life is beautiful. We made our way through the throng of people in the Piazza - how she found me I'll never know - and went to the Pantheon. Christopher's FAVORITE building - ever! We just love the space. unfortunately, it has been co-opted by the church and is no longer used for its original intent - to respect and worship ALL gods (lower case intended) rather than the 1 true god. Whatever! We chatted some more rested a little and said our goodbyes. They traveled from Montelibretti on motorcycle (its about 50 kilometers from Rome), so we had to get to the train station to meet up with the Sharf's and BEF, and they got on their buck and headed off into the Roman hillside.

Before we trekked back to the train, we HAD to stop at our favorite gelateria in Rome. This place is on a corner 2 blocks from the Pantheon; - with the Pantheon at your back take the alley in front of the Hotel Abruzzo (where my people come from) and walk two blocks. On your left is a corner gelateria with THE BEST gelato in Rome. So smooth and creamy - a little bit of heaven in a cup. Just delightful. After the day we had, we just knew we had to celebrate with gelato…who are we kidding…we'll eat gelato almost anytime at almost any place!

We had a bit of trouble finding our Metro stop and had to "passalaqua" REALLY badly…so we found a McDonalds and used the facilities. We got our bearings, and made our way to the Trevi Fountain…thinking the Metro was located closely (as indicated on the map)….WRONG! Well, we finally made it to the Metro, and after a short ride met up with the Sharf's & BEF and walked (forever I might add) to our train. As we were walking the skies rumbled with thunder and lightening. The gods put on quite a show for us! The rain came down fast and stopped just as fast. The sky was dark and heavy, the rain cooled everything off and the train set off to take us back "home".

Lemon Tree very pretty......



Sorrento, Campania, Italy
Tuesday, September 27, 2011



OK….it's now Tuesday, we're in the bay of Naples and the skies are heavy with low clouds but thankfully no rain. While on the phone confirming our dinner plans (i was on the veranda at the time) I looked down and saw a school of fish flipping and jumping through the surface of the ocean as if to say come and play. Truly a sight to behold - and BOY did they move!!!

The seas were a little choppy because of the winds. The tender ride was a little choppy, but we're becoming pros at this! Today we were joined by the P's & R's and had a plan….FIRST - we wanted to go to Carthusia for some fragrance (perfume maker from Capri), go to lunch, and do a little shopping; and of course…GELATO at Davide! We are nothing if not consistent!!! We also wanted to find out about the Villa Massa - manufacturing plant for Limoncello (YUM). I called the Villa and spoke with a lovely woman who informed us the tour was 30 Euro (per person) YIKES! and that the cab ride was about 25 Euro (again, YIKES). A little too rich for my blood…then we learned that the factory was closed for maintenance (WHEW..dodged a bullet there).

We found the perfume shop - we bought a bottle as did Lee - nice fragrances - all made in Capri! How cool is that?

It was time for lunch. All we wanted to do in Sorrento was meander and have lunch at Cafe Emilia; spelled as my mother's name (which is the right way I might add…). Unfortunately, the cafe was closed (either for the day, or the season) - BOO! Oh well!! We walked all the way to Marina Grande (which is actually QUITE small) - our ship was anchored in Marina Piccolo (which is rather LARGE) - confused???? Anyway….we found a little place which was a suitable alternative and ate a nice lunch. On the way back, we did a little more shopping (well that would be the R's) got our gelato - not as good as Rome, but the best in Sorrento, and headed back to the ship.

Dinner that niche was scheduled to be with some of the gang from FIDM who took the Rome tour: Marsha and her Husband Michael, Susan and her friend Susan (was supposed to be Mrs B, but her back would not cooperate, so she had to cancel her trip). The "other" Susan was a former FIDM instructor as well. We had planned to dine at Emilia - but had to scramble to find another. SO, we found a nice place right at the base of the pier and very close to the tender stop - so we could make the tender on time. We dined at Cafe Ricco, quite good. I had the lobster with pasta - and decided, I'm DONE with fighting with my food. If it ain't shelled, I ain't eating it! Got that restauranteurs???!!!

Dinner was lovely, relaxed and we all had a wonderful time. I'm SO glad we all were able to meet up in Sorrento. Such a beautiful place!

Che Bella



malfi, Campania, Italy
Wednesday, September 28, 2011




The Amalfi coast is dramatic and quite breathtaking.

The sun was hot but the haze in the air made for thick air. For the first time on this trip my lungs felt a little tight. My allergy boogieman to came to life as well….hmmm…..note to self…..Amalfi coast is not allergy friendly for me. Oh well, it could be worse.

On the tender with us this morning was Miss B, the R's & the P's. BEF & The Sharf's would take a later tender. BEF had scheduled a facial as well…would we recognize her???

The seas were REALLY choppy today. The tender snapped its line as an elderly gentleman was entering the tender - Poor Man - he lost his footing, slid onto the tender and scraped his leg. We ferried on, he was returned to the ship to be looked after by the ships medical team. Hope he was OK. The group quickly scattered. The P's & the R's to the church, Miss B in search of her beach towel, and we off on yet another wonderful adventure. It could be so much worse!

Amalfi is known for its ceramics and paper making. We looked for, and found the gentleman who was featured on Samantha Brown's Passport to Europe. Quite the craftsman, he. He was placing bougainvillea into the paper, so that when lifter o the light, one sees the flower and leaf embedded in the paper Just lovely (and not inexpensive) - we took a pass. We also found some beautiful ceramic pieces, but thought them much too costly and fragile to get home…again we took a pass. Then we came upon a quaint paper store with a kind man behind the counter. We bought 2 packets of locally made paper…..now…does anyone send letters any more? Well, if you get one from us, chances are the paper was made in Amalfi!

This was a short day as we had to get back on the ship early for our sail to Taormina, Sicily. Since Amalfi is so small, we didn't mind. After our trek through town we got back on board and relaxed by the pool. We both got nice appropriately umbrella'd drinks and sipped to our hearts content under the Italian Sun…..Oh, it could be SO much worse!

Who Knew????



Sicily, Italy
Thursday, September 29, 2011




Taromina, Sicily

Who knew? Who knew Sicily was SO beautiful? Taromina is a gem of a town clinging to the mountainside. Our ship was again anchored off shore in the bay - no shelter, so we pivoted and turned on the anchor. Our sea legs are so strong, we hardly noticed! The entire gang was tendered ashore and hired 2 cabs to take us from Naxos to Taromina. The drive is quick, but not without its peril! Poor Ms Sharf….we thought about putting a hood on her as every now and again she would emit a brief "ooh" and "yikes" as we navigated our way up the hill on that hairpin turn of a Sicilian road. Our cabbie cut it short a few times, but he delivered us safely to the welcoming arms of Taromina!

Did I mention this city is truly beautiful??? Forgive me if I ramble on so….. We passed through the gate and entered a shopping mecca. The first store we passed captured our attention. Falconetti - oh, I LOVE me some Falconetti! We bought me a beautiful navy blue thick wool button front sweater - perfect for year round use in SF, and a nice cashmere & silk scarf. BEF purchased a cashmere grey sweater which is SO unique and unmatched in its beauty - and Ms BEF looks beautiful in it! Our love affair was well underway - the others knew better and moved on! We roamed this original greek fortress town and admired its people and shops. The only other MUST when visiting Taromina is the cannoli! OMG - to DIE for! So rich and good. Oh I was in HOG HEAVEN!

Chris & I split from the group as time was running out. We ran into the other gang (Miss B, the R's & the P's) as we were heading to the Greek Arena….a trip well worth the price of entry according to Lee. So, in we went. They were, once again right on the money and view! Did I mention this….Taromina is a beautiful city. We shall return.

Our plan was to meet back at the drop off point at 1:30 as we had to be on board ship by 3. Didn't want to cut it short. Way too short a day to really capture all Taromina has to offer. So back we went for the cab ride down the mountain and a HUGE line to get to the tender. Guess no-one wanted to miss the ship!

We all met for dinner in the Grand Dining room. We invited everyone back to our room for some Limoncello - procured in Sorrento. Only BEF took us up on the offer. Good thing that - we finished off the bottle between the three of us. It was a small bottle. Really. No, seriously - it was a small bottle. I forgot to mention an amusing aside as BEF arrived to our room - sporting her new suede shoes recently punched in Rome - she WORKED those shoes I must say! OK, back to the story… Chris had opened our veranda door - no big deal right? Well…it was a rather windy evening. So as I opened the door to let Miss BEF in, this created a vortex which sent papers flying, drapes nearly came off their rods; poor BEF - her hair was pulled forward and she felt, and looked like, a salmon swimming upstream. All that was missing from this scene was the soundtrack to the Wizard of OZ! We all laughed so hard! I almost wet my pants, I couldn't breathe….tears were running down our faces. Paper flying everywhere…notice…Christopher's hair didn't move! That's some serious hair gel!

A little Greece goes a long way



Corfu Town, Ionian Islands, Greece
Friday, September 30, 2011

Corfu, Greece

This is my second time to Corfu. The first was in 1979 with some friends from college. We had a blast - we even (I hate to admit this…camped)! I KNOW, I KNOW…I CAMPED! What a horrid thought to remember.

We caught the shuttle into town. Christopher was not much interested in Corfu, in fact he considers himself more Italian than Greek (got news…you have a Greek Passport dude,,,you're GREEK) - but, we'll accept you - unconditionally…in Italy! The group was together, briefly. I had 2 goals for today - to get some foot cream from Apivita (a Greek skin care company) and swim in the ocean - it has been SO inviting this entire trip! We found the cream at the second stop! YES. I bought 2 tubes of this liquid gold which helps relieve foot pain…trust me…worth EVERY penny! This stuff is not cheap! The R's, and P's (have you noticed a pattern???) took the train for an overview of Corfu. Ronnie was….you guessed it…looking for beach towels; the Sharf's and BEF hung out with us as we got ourselves lost in the marketplace of Corfu. Paula & Steve bought a lovely necklace and earrings, we bought a beautiful bracelet. We were able to negotiate and got a great price for cash….SO…..off I went in search of a bancomat - which happened to be next door! Bracelet secured and is it beautiful!

Chris split off from us and returned to the ship as he is not much of a swimmer and had no intention of going into the ocean. The Sharf's, BEF & I hopped in a cab for the trip to Mons Palace where we found the perfect beach! AT LAST…a dip in the water. The water was so soothing and clear. We felt SO refreshed luxuriating in its wet loveliness. Bliss! While in the water we noticed small fish. These brave little fish came up and nibbled a little on our feet…we got our fish pedicure and it didn't cost a dime! (right)! A lovely Greek woman, Katerina, came up and introduced herself to us while soaking in our Ionian Tub. She was a mature woman, an Archeologist married to a diplomat. She was so very sweet. We chatted as if old friends. She invited us to her house (I mean can you imagine an American doing that)!! She, indeed was special. Unfortunately, another short day, so we had to get back to the Ship by 2 today!

We hopped out of the water, dried off and wouldn't you know it - there was a cab just turning the corner. She drove us back to the ship where we had a nice lunch and relaxed by the pool. Oh, yes….it could be worse.

I had scheduled an 80 minute massage to remove whatever kinks were left from this most challenging of holidays (yeah right)! In any event - my massage was SPECTACULAR! Oh, such unyielding strength she had in her capable hands - such power and healing touch. I was in heaven. My ears popped, my sinuses ran - I winced a few times - because she went there! I mean SHE WENT THERE (get your mind OUT of the gutter…no, not THERE)! She got the knots out of my muscles!

After a quick steam, jacuzzi and shower I joined the cocktail party going on the Port side of Deck 6. We had the gates thrown open so our veranda was three open spaces and we could wander between rooms for the appropriate cocktail. I should have been drinking water, but a little wine NEVER hurt anyone! Right?

Dinner tonight was in the Polo Lounge! Chi, Chi chic and quite wonderful. I think we all ate more than necessary - Steve had a 32 ounce prime rib - I don't think he finished it! Lord, I HOPE he didn't finish it!!! After dinner a nite cap and off to bed.

Barren.....



Split, Croatia
Saturday, October 1, 2011

Split, Croatia

We arrived today in Split at 11 am local time (after a rather confusing one day time change - so annoying)! The seas are calm, the sun is bright (and hot) and the town is small and quaint.

Croatia is not on the Euro, so we didn't do much shopping today. In fact after we split off from group (sorry about that) we wandered around the old town and took a ton of pictures.

On our walk around town, we happened upon the most charming, and may I say active market; local farmers hawking their fruits and vegetables, baked goods etc. We were in heaven - we just love, LOVE this way of life. Real food, from the earth nurtured by real people and sold at a fair price - what could possibly be better?! The USA has it all wrong when it comes to food! Just sayin'!

BEF came back to the ship with yet another pair of shoes....Girl knows how to SHOP! So proud!!!

The sun was so intense we chose to cut our visit short and head back to the ship where we met up with Miss B (who had the same idea) and ate a light lunch and once again lounged by the pool!

We all met up for dinner and heard about a little mishap which occurred on shore today. SO....we all know Pete does his research, and is the BEST and leading a group tour (if you want to see something). Well, it seems while on his tour through Split, he "split" off from the group (quite accidentally) and was "lost" for about an hour. According to sources, it was not HE who was lost, but THEY who could NOT keep up! Hmmmmm. No winner in this one!

The Tourist



Venice, Veneto, Italy
Sunday, October 2, 2011

Kayso, we all know this trip is a celebration for "Leefest" - as Lee is celebrating a major birthday, and since her birthday is in September, the ENTIRE month of September is dedicated to Lee.

Well....we've been keeping a MAJOR secret from her which shall be revealed this very day. Perry is SUCH a devil (and yes, Doug.....he IS spending your inheritance...and doing an EXCELLENT job of it)! Lee thinks she is staying at the same hotel which Ronnie and we are, but not so....Perry has a HUGE surprise in store for her.

Pete has created a route hitting some major highlights of Venice so today he will be the Tour Guide extraordinaire! Lee thinks she and Perry will join the others for the tour. First we all are going to check out "our" hotel to determine the logistics for tomorrow and our disembarkation.

So we all leave the ship, buy our passes for the vapporetto get on the #2 and snake our way through Venice on the Grand Canal ... perfect! We get off at the Piazza San Marco; no matter how many times one sees this most beautiful piazza it STILL takes ones breath away! Now that the Doges Palace restoration is complete and the scaffolding is down - it looks even better (if that were even possible)!

We arrive at the Hotel Castello and see what its all about...not so much quite honestly. If anyone books you into the hotel RUN, cancel it - you do NOT want to stay there! But I digress....

We leave the hotel and decide to "begin the tour" wink, wink..... What actually happens is that we walk over to the hotel where Lee & Perry are going to stay for their visit to Venice. We enter the Hotel Danieli "to check out the lobby" - wink, wink... And there and then, in the lobby in front of the D6PsG, Perry tells his lovely bride of 40+ years that her birthday present is three nights at the Hotel Danieli with a suite on the Grand canal...nicely done!

Lee was particularly surprised - and who wouldn't be! Perry has had this plan since he saw The Tourist - he fell in love with the Hotel, and knew he had to stay there at some point in time. So....HE DID IT! I'm amazed at how he pulled it off. Nine people were able to maintain a secret for almost a full year - and Lee was completely surprised! I'm guessing Lee spent the rest of the day in shock - or REALLY pissed at Perry for spending the $$$...nah, she was THRILLED and touched.

The rest of the day was rather anti-climactic at this point...think?

BEF had asked us to use our good taste, and find her a special piece of jewelry; something "beautiful" from Murano (no task is too difficult for this former retail buyer)!

Chris & I broke off from the "tour" and headed over to Murano, in
search of Seguso Viro,(and BEF's jewelry) and another "baubble" to add to our collection.
We arrived in Murano at the hottest time of the day - and BOY, was it
HOT! We got to Seguso.....CLOSED! DISAPPOINTED!! Really, ya gotta be
kidding me with this...we want to add something to our collection....who
closes their gallery in Venice - this is a tourist town?! Whatever! Time to look for something for BEF.

Immediately we found a nice piece at the first store, a little expensive but nice....the bar has been established. We went into MANY stores trying to top the first item we saw (a red & black glass asymmetrical beaded necklace - three large beads on a black rope). While on the hunt for the necklace, we still had something in mind for "us" as well. Nothing! Crap!

THEN....we found this nice store with a woman behind the counter making necklaces. We asked (in Italian I might add) if she had anything other than what was out (her color story on display wasn't rocking my world - but I LOVED her style). She opened the drawer, I saw a purple/lavender and silver piece which caught my eye - it actually caught Chris' as well. We both, at the same time said "that one". Our shopping was done! The necklace is beautiful, and we think BEF will just love it....and we came in UNDER budget! Smart Shoppers!!

Lunch in Murano was nice - we split a pizza. The place was HOPPING - the poor waiters were RUNNING from table to table while wiping sweat from their face (actually, we could have done without that guys...just sayin') - at least they used cloths and not their hands to wipe the sweat away!

We returned to the ship and gave BEF the necklace. She LOVED IT! YES! Hey....maybe we need to become fashion stylists...hmmmm....

Dinner was scheduled for 6:30 at Polo (YUM)! Our final night on board, and a great way to say good bye to those leaving early tomorrow. We all ordered a little too much food (at this point who the heck cares) and drank some AMAZING wine. BEF ordered a most excellent, succulent, rich and red Brunello. I can only imagine what that puppy cost. I need a better paying job!

Pete & Judy have a REALLY early day, so off to bed for them.

BEF, Chris & I are off to see Venice by night. We exited the ship with little fanfare (Hey....do you KNOW who we are?).... Venice by night is a magical experience - the tourists (for the most part) have left for the comfort of their hotel room or cruise stateroom - all but the adventurous - like US! We passed the Gondola factory - SO COOL on our way to Piazza San Marco.

We arrived in the middle of the square, to the sounds of Carmen, coming from one side of the square, and The Four Seasons, from the other...a beautiful battle of the bands. Oh the experience of Venice - one must sip it carefully, and savor its rich bouquet.

I just don't want his to end.......



Venice, Veneto, Italy
Monday, October 3, 2011

Sniff, Sniff, sigh. The cruise is over......

Pete & Judy were up early (I mean EARLY) this morning. I heard them leave around 3 am. Seriously, Oceania - WTF were you thinking???? We said our good byes last night, good thing too - I would NOT have been happy to say good bye at 3 am. Who am I kidding - I'd have SLUGGED anyone who dare wake me that early (let this be a warning to you)!

We gathered for our last meal - Ronnie, the R's, Chris & me - we saw Steve (briefly) while he prepared a plate for he and Paula to "dine" in their room. We had an early morning (NOT as early as the P's - thank goodness) - but early IS early! We have to leave our rooms by 8 am. WHATEVER!!!

I just don't want his to end.

The Vapporetto drivers decide to strike ALL day today! Thanks guys! Really. THANKS A F@*#ING LOT! What with the vapporetti on strike - the water taxi's are gonna be few and far between...and their rates are going to go up at LEAST 20%!((MISSING)if we're lucky)! Thanks - Love Ya.

The crowd at the "taxi stand" is unbelievable. The taxi's look like a swarm of great white sharks in a feeding frenzy; waters churning, boats bobbing, people scrambling - what a scene. First, one must decide on which company you wish to use, this after standing on line for oh....30 minutes (at least); then you negotiate a price (buyer beware) then you wait, and wait, and wait some more for your number to be called. While this is going on, the taxi drivers are shouting at one another, cutting each other off, swearing up a storm and within inches of each other - and not one boat even touches another - these guys KNOW what they're doing!

We got on the taxi (a boat - you DO know there are no cars in Venice - except on Lido) and headed for the Danieli (remember - to drop off the R's - and then we negotiated with the taxi "boss" to have him drive us over to the Castello) Yeah RIGHT! This nice man (NOT) dumps us at the Danieli and refuses to take us to our hotel. A lot of arms flying, choice words and such did nothing to get this guy to take us - but he REALLY took us! We were hosed. I'll bet he was back at the feeding frenzy in no time. Thanks Vapporetti - REALLY. Thanks SO much.

We schlep over to our hotel. They won't let us check in, and are NOT happy about storing our luggage. Chris SWEARS this place was a 4 star hotel - they claim to be a 3 star.....sure they are. So - we leave our luggage and head over to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection with Ronnie.

Have I mentioned that the vapporetti are on strike? Well, they ARE! OK, I'm calm....for a minute. In order to get to the Guggenheim, we have to FIRST walk over to the Academia Bridge, then cross the bridge and walk over to the Guggenheim. This takes about an hour - considering we're shopping and stopping along the way...and stop for a diet coke, coffee and water. Thanks auntie Ronnie!

OK - it was ALL worth it! What a beautiful collection of modern art. Just loved it! I've been to Venice many, MANY times - and this is the first time I've been able to get to the Guggenheim! Worth the wait.

Back to Piazza San Marco to meet up with the R's for lunch. We dined at a wonderful restaurant just around the corner from our hotel. Great Lunch! Head back to the hotel to check in - well...they let us check in, but OUR room isn't ready. WHATEVER! So, chris & I decide to head over to La Fenice so we can tour the Opera House.

WHAT AN OPERA HOUSE! If you are in Venice, and a fan of Opera (or architecture) you MUST go! Seriously - you won't be disappointed. OK - its now 4 pm - our room had better be ready - 'cuz we've got dinner plans at the Danieli with the R's (their treat - NOTHING is going to keep me from this dinner - got me....NOTHING!).

So - back to the hotel we go. Finally, the room is ready. So - let me preface this with a few things....we just got off a 5 star cruise. We were told this was a 4 star hotel. The hotel claims to be a 3 star hotel. IF, and this is a BIG IF they have ANY stars, it would be a MIRACLE! OK - I'll be nice and give them 1.5 stars.

The room is SMALLER than our guestroom at home. The bathroom is nice AND in the room so that is worth at least 1.5 stars. Looking up, I noticed mosquito "guts" ALL over the ceiling. At least, I HOPE its blood from a mosquito victim, and not a shooting victim. YUK. And, what do I see...another freaking MOSQUITO (alive) but not for long! I shoot to kill!

The bed is crammed up against the wall; calling it a "bed" is a complement...more like an over sized cot. The "closet" isn't wide enough to hang a shirt on a hanger - really? Why have one. OH...how I WISH we could leave this hell hole. I'm NOT a hotel snob - but this place - NO WAY!

Did I mention there's no elevator....and we're on the third floor. Thank goodness they brought our luggage to the room. Checking out is NOT going to be pleasant.

We shower, rally and meet up with Ronnie at our appointed time. She asks about the room - we compare notes. I'll shut up....believe it or not, we have the BETTER room. UGH! We're on our way to the Danieli. Did I mention the Danieli is a "Luxury Collection Hotel". Just sayin'.

We meet up with the R's in the hotel lobby. They take us up to the room for some champagne and a quick visit before dinner.

I'm officially PISSED, JEALOUS, BITTER AND HATE BEING POOR! There...I said it!

Our room is smaller than their freaking sitting room - which by the way has THE most amazing view of the Grand Canal. BITCH!

Their room came with chocolates and Prosecco....bitch, BITCH! OK, I'll calm down. We chatted, reminisced about the trip, told them about OUR hotel (RRRRRRRRRRRRRR) and looked out the window at the grand canal and just drooled. No, we're not bitter (MUCH).

Dinner reservations were at 7, so...we make our way to the Hotel Restaurant. OMFG I mean OMFG!!!!! The restaurant is located on the TOP of the hotel with an unobstructed view of VENICE. We were seated up against the rail, able to look over the edge and see all the "little people" walking along the canal. JUST BEAUTIFUL. I feel like a million bucks (which is about what dinner cost).

We were up there for a few hours eating a leisurely dinner, watching the sun set over Venice. Talk about ROMANTIC! This was one of those "pinch me moments"! A once in a lifetime experience. We all were SO lucky and happy to be together sharing this most amazing of experiences.

Dinner over, we head back to our hotel and reality. Talk about ying and yang - from the ridiculous to the sublime (and back again)!

One day to go.....



Venice, Veneto, Italy
Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My back is KILLING ME!

That "thing" which tries to pass for a bed ain't making it - and my back is NOT happy! We can walk it off, no problem. After "breakfast" (which consisted of - some cheese, whole grain bread, coffee and a roll) we met up with the R's. You DON'T want to know what or where they ate! Well, maybe you do...they ate at the same restaurant where we had dinner last night - AND it was a breakfast buffet (like we had on the ship). Officially BITTER - and very happy for them. No really, very happy.

Seriously, I'm happy.

Our plan for the day is to wander Venice, visit the Rialto Market and the Jewish Ghetto. Off we go...

We first decide to take the vapporetto (the strike was for 24 hours) so they were running again today...hey do we get a refund on the 24 hours we COULDN'T use the darn card? Just askin'!

We wander the streets of Venice just soaking it all in on our way to the "ghetto" from the "bus stop". I just LOVE this city. Arriving at the campo, one is immediately confronted with the history of this neighborhood. Twice during WWII this neighborhood was cleared of its residents. All led off to certain death. Still quite chilling. At one end of the campo, is a security guard housed in a guard shack. A shocking and disturbing sight. Really brings it home!

Ronnie and I enter a little store on the square while Perry, Lee & Chris wait outside. Ronnie is in HEAVEN! She has found some wonderful gifts with special meaning for her and her friends. I'll keep these private, as they may read this and I don't want to spoil the surprise. May I just say that Ronnie really, REALLY thinks about things she buys for her friends. It has to have meaning and be something special. Now you know why we ALL love her!

We decide not to enter the Synagogue, and just roam the square reflecting on the history of this neighborhood. Perry bought and presented to Ronnie a history book on the neighborhood. We all were near tears. Ronnie again was just so happy. Told ya, that Perry has a BIG heart!

On our way to Rialto, we do a little...SHOPPING! Well, why the heck not. We do what we must to help alleviate Italy's debt crisis. Trust me....we ALL helped BIG time!

We found grappa glasses. Perry found some lovely things for himself, and the family as did Lee. Ronnie found a few more things - again - can't divulge anything and ruin surprises! Just know - if you're on the receiving end - you're gonna LOVE IT!

We happened upon a charming campo called Piazza San Giacomo (hmmmm). The neighborhood is quiet, charming and above all in VENICE! We found a new neighborhood in which to live. We could see ourselves here. NO PROBLEM! We stopped for a great gelato, picked up the real estate listings and dreamed about our future.

We made it to the Rialto Bridge - cheated a little - took a vapporetto...one does what one must. This was Ronnie's FIRST time walking over the bridge. The smile on her face was SO worth it!! The Market was winding down - so we chose to head back and get ready for dinner.

Before dinner, Ronnie treats us to a pick me up at Cafe Florian which has been in business over 200 years! Prosecco was sipped by the R's, and Ronnie, Chris & I went for Campari & soda. Along with the drinks, we had some chips, cookies, and nuts. I love Venice!

Dinner was at Cafe da Carla! We found this with the help of our friend Jim, the last time we were in Venice. This place is a MUST for any visitor. The food is great - all pasta is house made, and spectacular. I could eat here every week and not duplicate a meal EVER. That's because everything is fresh, in season, and whatever the greengrocer, fishmonger or butcher has FRESH! The way we were meant to eat! I love the slow food movement!

After dinner, a "passegatta" and off to the store where we found a vase which, since we couldn't get anything from Seguso (their prices went THROUGH the roof)! The vase is beautiful, signed and will make an excellent addition to our home. The price ain't bad either!

Our last night in Venice was winding down. We head back to the Danieli for a quick after dinner drink in the lobby. Then we head up to the suite to see Insignia make its way down the canal. we all took turns on watch to announce Her arrival. It came to me, and there she was ... I notices those familiar lights and called everyone to the window. We got on the balconies (yes PLURAL) and waved good bye to "our" ship. Ronnie & Chris sang "Don't Cry for Me Insignia" - ya had to be there!

We said our good byes to the R's, who are staying on for one more day (wouldn't you if you were at the Danieli????). We all went to our "hotel" to pack, and "sleep" before another early morning and our trip home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb