Another day in Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
August 20th 2006
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Carvings01 Carvings01 Carvings

Side of a building.
Geo: 41.8955, 12.4823

Another great sunny day in Rome. Again saw a lot today and tired myself out. First place I visited was the Capitoline Muesums. The first one I went to was the Palazzo dei Conservatori. Here there were many paintings and sculptures. This building was the seat of the city's magistrate. It had many frescoed halls which are occasionally used for political meetings. Saw a large sculpture of a pope that was done by Bernini and also his Medusa sculpture. An Etruscian bronze sculpture from the 5th century of a she-wolf with the twins added in the 15th century. Spinario- a bronze sculpture that has been copied by others of a boy removing a thorn from his foot. There was a huge Caravaggio of St John the Baptist that was painted and suppose to be in St Peter's, but is here for some reason. Also learnt the statue in the square between the two museums is a copy of Marcus Aurelis who was an emporer in the 2nd century.
Then went into the second museum, Palazzo Nuovo. The first room was called the Hall of the Emporer's. It was full of busts of all the many emporers and some of
02 Emperor's02 Emperor's02 Emperor's

A carving of Emperors in the Palazzo dei Conservatori.
their partners. Next was the Hall of the Philosophers, again many busts of philosophers. There were also a few copies of famous Greek statues.
Next I went to a church, San Pietro in Vincoli. Here there are supposedly the chains that were used to shackle St Peter. The main attraction is the huge tomb by Michelangelo for Pope Julius II of a statue of Moses.
Walking along I came to the Arch of Gallienus. Which was built in memory of the emporer when he was assainated in 262.
Then visited Santa Maria Maggiore. In here there are 5th century mosaics. Also saw the Facchino fountain, which dates from 1590. And that was enough for a day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

03 Bernini03 Bernini
03 Bernini

Bernini's sculpture of a pope in the Palazzo dei Conservatori.
04 Medusa04 Medusa
04 Medusa

The bust of Medusa by Bernini in the Palazzo dei Conservatori.
05 Statue05 Statue
05 Statue

An interesting statue in the Palazzo dei Conservatori.
06 She-Wolf06 She-Wolf
06 She-Wolf

The Etruscan bronze of the she-wolf is from the 5th century and the twins were added in the 15th century.
07 Spinario07 Spinario
07 Spinario

Bronze statue from the 1st century of a boy trying to remove a thron from his foot.
08 Marcus Aurelis08 Marcus Aurelis
08 Marcus Aurelis

The original statue that used to stand between the two museums, where there is now a replica.
09 Giant09 Giant
09 Giant

Parts of a giant statue of Cesear.
10 Caravaggio10 Caravaggio
10 Caravaggio

St John the Baptist was originally made to be hung in St Peters
11 Forum11 Forum
11 Forum

View of the forum from the museums.
12 View12 View
12 View

View of the forum from the museums.
13 Hall of the Emperors13 Hall of the Emperors
13 Hall of the Emperors

The room was full of busts of all the emperors.
14 Hall of the Philosophers14 Hall of the Philosophers
14 Hall of the Philosophers

Room full of busts of philosophers.
15 Red Faun15 Red Faun
15 Red Faun

This statue was found at Tivoli and is made of red marble in the 2nd century and is a copy of a greek statue.
16 Lovers16 Lovers
16 Lovers

Statue of lovers pashing.
17 Hand17 Hand
17 Hand

Part of a colossal statue of Constantine 1. This is also the cover of my Italy Lonely Planet.
18 Foot18 Foot
18 Foot

Huge foot of the Constantine statue.
19 Forum19 Forum
19 Forum

View of the forum from behind the museums.
20 Shackles20 Shackles
20 Shackles

The shackles that were on St Peter in San Pietro in Vincoli.
21 Tomb21 Tomb
21 Tomb

A tomb decorated with skeletons.


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb