Packed in like Sardines


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
June 15th 2017
Published: June 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

I have now completed 3 weeks of my classes, and since my art course is only 3 weeks long, today was our last day. However, my professor has some museums in mind for Florence.

Today, we tried to take a regional train to Trastevere, but it was not faster. In fact, it took us about 2 hours to get to our destination, whereas, the bus would have taken us 45 minutes. With the delay, we only saw 2/4 churches that were planned for today. First, we saw Santa Maria in Trastevere, then we saw Santa Cecilia in Trastevere.

When we arrived to Santa Cecilia, we noticed a lot of people dressed up, and when we walked inside there was a wedding!! At first, we did not know what to do because my professor really wanted us to see the sculpture of Saint Cecilia at the alter, but obviously we couldn't interrupt a wedding. We decided to go downstairs, where Cecilia and her husband lived, and once the wedding was over, we made our way upstairs.

For once this whole trip, my professor stopped for lunch!! Usually we are nonstop walking for about 6-10 hours a day, but today was shorter. We went to a restaurant right next to Santa Cecilia called Roma Sparita. Majority of the class got the same dish, pasta with cheese and pepper in a parmesan bowl!! It was so rich, I could not finish it.

After we were all full, we headed back to campus on the most crowded bus that I have been on this trip. When I say crowded, there were probably 90 people on this bus. We were all packed in like sardines. It was hot and people are very rude. They will yell at you or shove you out of the way, even though there is no possible way for you to move. It is ridiculous!! Rome needs more busses that come more frequently, so these situations could be avoided!!

Update: the rash on my face has gone away!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



16th June 2017

Cecilia and Sardines
Some awkwardness walking into a wedding and discomfort on the bus, you'll never forget going downstairs to where Saint Cecilia once lived and being backed in like sardines on public transportation in Rome!
18th June 2017

Sardines
Glad your rash went away! As far as people being rude on the bus, it seems like close cramped quarters don't always bring out the best in people, no matter where you are.

Tot: 0.335s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb