Honeymooning in Europe


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 10th 2017
Published: May 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_1557IMG_1557IMG_1557

Old Lola
Wow, what an amazing start to our honeymoon. Let me start off with the stressful departure from Denver. Right after a short walk with Lola before getting ready to call an Uber to take us to the airport, the sky got dark and a massive storm passed through. With the storm came golf ball sized hail that delayed an Uber from picking us up. After trying for close to 30 minutes we were finally able to get someone to our house, however the normal 30 minute drive to the airport was now 48 due to traffic from the storm. What we didn't realize was that the storm had caused major flooding on some of the side streets that we were attempting to use to avoid the interstate traffic jam. We finally got to the airport after a very stressful drive a horrible Uber driver and raced to the desk to check in just as the ticket counter was closing. We walked up to our gate and directly onto the plane! WOW, impeccable timing!

Upon arrival in Rome, we checked into our adorable boutique hotel that Scott navigated us to via train and bus. First afternoon in the city was spent
IMG_1571IMG_1571IMG_1571

First Pizza
walking around exploring and eating our first Italian meal; YUM! We also went for a quick peak at the Pantheon and ended the evening with some delicious gelato. On our walk we ran into our first Lola of the trip. I lost it and the man was so nice as to let me hold his 12 year old sweet girl!

Waking up early for the Papal audience tour on our first morning was not easy, but so worth the limited sleep. The Vatican was way bigger and more grand than I ever expected. Seeing the Pope drive around in his little Pope-Mobile waving to the crowd and kissing the babies was pretty cool! We were very close and were able to get video and some awesome pictures. Once in a lifetime opportunity that's for sure! We stayed and listened to the address from the Pope and got all of our Catholic garb blessed! What an amazing experience! After, we went for lunch and had our first pizza...Holy Smokes! Best pizza EVER! We followed that up with a tour of St. Peter's Basilica and Square including the Sistine Chapel.

We are just relaxing at the room now and then
IMG_1574IMG_1574IMG_1574

Pieta(pretty) in St. Peter's Basilica
heading off to dinner. We will check in again tomorrow after we tour ancient Rome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb