Meeting friends in Rome.


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 17th 2017
Published: April 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of the joys of travelling is meeting lovely, kind people who then become your friends. So over the years as I have travelled, exchanging my home and hospitality, I am lucky to have collected several wonderful friends who now have become travel companions. And so it was that Colleen and Peter from Albany, Western Australia invited me to join them on their trip to Italy.

No day recuperating from the long flight from Oz ...they were up and running with me and off we all went wandering down our street through the local market marvelling at tubs of artichokes, cheeses and salami, and such beautiful flowers, then through St Peteres Square where the Maundy Thursday Mass was being broadcast onto big screens. After a stop for coffee and croissants it was on past Castel San Angelo, along the Tiber and on to the Spanish Steps. It's probably crowded most of the time in Rome but more so this Easter weekend.... but everyone seems to be good humoured and it's a delight to see the exhuberance of the Italians in the street.

More walking and more piazzas and fountains and more churches and more gelato ...we are getting the hang of this lifestyle and we can even cross the street weaving our way through the motos and cars. And we have found out where to buy the bus tickets and figured out the bus stops so we don't have to walk all the way home. There's a great cafe just metres from the apartment and such friendly service in addition to great food and live music - we are very happy with our glasses of prosecco.

Another day of wandering around , this time getting into some of the churches as well as the amazing Pantheon ... one of the largest unsupprted domes in the world and probably was When the Romans built it.

It was quite a coincidence that two more of my home exchange friends from Sweden, Bengt and Eva, were spending the weekend in Rome so it was great to meet up with them for a drink in Piazza Navonna.

Final site for me was the place where Julius Caesar was assassinated ...The days Rome came to an end with a train journey to Naples where I am writing from now. All went well with booking th tickets with TrenItalia on line... and I even got a special deal .. 3 tickets for the price of 2 , and you know I like a bargain! And in spite of the taxi driver droppping is off at the wrong Piazza we found our way to our new home just across the street to be met by our new host Antonio... we are in another another Air BnB apartment.

No time to tour the Coloseum or Forum so I will just have to come back.

Arrividerci Roma.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Colleen and I competing for best photo !Colleen and I competing for best photo !
Colleen and I competing for best photo !

She will win...Look at her camera!
Santa Maria MinervaSanta Maria Minerva
Santa Maria Minerva

Poor old Gallileo tried by the Dominicans ( the Inquisition) in the monastery here.
Trevi Fountain Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain

Millions of people here ...how did I get this shot !


18th April 2017

Friends
hello again Lynne. Reading about you meeting up with friends on your travels gives me such hope for the future now that I am on my own too. Wonderful photos once again. Have fun in Naples!!
18th April 2017

Rome
So glad that you are having such a wonderful time!
21st April 2017

Acquaintances become friends and traveling partners
Collecting friends around the world. Sounds like a great visit to Rome. Julius Caesar once said Experience is the teacher of all things. Enjoy Rome.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb