My first travel to Europe!!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 25th 2005
Published: October 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I think every body, at least from this side of the ocean has the dream to have an adventure in europe, experimenting, smelling, get the picture from knowing real people, so this was my opportunity, planning a clasic low budget, backpacking extreme travel to as manny countries you can in Europe. I plan this travel with my best friend, ,making a lot of research before departure, buying the travelguide for the low budget traveler "Let's go Europe" and planning every penny.

So first of all having a cheap flight from Mexico City is difficult so the best way normally is making some stops so we book United Airlines MEX-IAD-Milan a very beautifull almost 24 hr journey. The first stop in Washington Dulles was a nightmare and a very new concept for me 6 hour delay of my flight to Milan..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and of course a very yummy (sarcasm) food voucher to buy yourself a burger. But come on is just the beginning we have to be ready to support even worst things.

After our trasatlantic flight we finally arrived to Milan Airport and of course to the first cultural shock (some of you guys that are profesional travelers may have certainly pass this feeling) the importance of adapt yourself to a language you don't know and you're not used to listen is difficult for the first time and this feeling happens every time you travel to different countries but of course you adapt more easilly depending you're travel experience.

So the first thing we had to travel from Milan to Rome where ot supposed to be our first city of destiny and the adventure began.

Fisrt of all after a quick climatization of the language we realized that italian was very seem with spanish so understanding the general concept of a conversation was not so difficult as I tought, asking directions, food, etc, was relatively easy and soon but the next experience was more shocking "THE TRAIN" we had to catch the train, Just to set a perspective in Mexico train is for CARGO only, we bought our Europass wich give you the privilege to board almost any train to any destiny on the EU, but following the train experience was asking a person on the train station "Which train to Rome" following his answer that one goes in five minutes, the you have us running to catch the train. Suddenly inside the train we saw many places empty clean, etc, but surprise when the driver ask for our tickets we bought for second class not first an we were on a 1st class wagon so we began to walk to them. We begin to see more people (extremely crowded) and we didn't get no seat at all (that reminded me to Mexico City Subway) the problem was that the travel duration was if I remember more than 6 hours, so we travel with our backpacks almost 4 hours in our feet, after a long flight what a nightmare!!

Finally we arrive to Rome by night to Termini station (many people warned us to be carefull on that zone, to exagerated not any problem) as good backpackers we found a Hotel very near the station old but clean and with a good bed all we needed at that time.

2nd Day At Rome.

Trying to describe Rome in such a short stay will be totally unfair we felt like in home, a very croweded city, incredible trafic but very beautifull but what make beautifull the city is their people, full of joy and happiness, very passionate , the city a Colloseum that impress anybody not only for the structure but the historical reality, the antique Roman Forum ruins (If you're not a history lover may not like them, I'd love it), the streets the Romantic Chaos was a total experience. First medical issue on travel, my travel mate was what I called a Extreme tourist we walked that day almost 14 hours , and my sneakers was not designed for that so the blisters began to appear.

3rd Day at Rome

Even I'm Catholic and believe in God ,I don't consider myself a very spiritual person that day we went to the vatican leaving my religious believes aside, that is an imponent architectural structure perfectly designed ( And yes I'm avoiding espiritual or religion debate) San Peter's Cathedral is an overwelming experience the handcraft is so exquisite that even a non Catholic could admire and love the Vatican is an experience you can not miss.

Not enter to Vatican museum (dork! yes I know, maybe I can ammend it into a next travel).

Then gone to Trevi Fountain, then following the artistic line, an overwelming art point, every tourist throwing their coins and asking for a wish, why not me, maybe is true, maybe Rome can make your dreams come true..........

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb