We are in Rome!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 23rd 2005
Published: May 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hello - Sorry it has been some time, but I have had echnical difficulties getting on-line.

We left Venice and went to Florence, Italy two days ago. We stopped in Bolgna for lunch and a walking tour, and learned that Bologna was known as the "Fat City" and that it was also a city full of arches.

In the afternoon we went to the University of Bologna where we heard a lecture from a doctor and two nutritionists - on the benefits of the Mediterranean diet and olive oil. Afterward we had cookies for snacks!!

When we went to Florence, we had dinner with some friends of mine, Lucia and Simone, who explained to our group about life in Florence. It takes awhile to save for a place to stay in Florence, because it is very expensive. Both Lucia and Simone are 28, but still live with their parents. They are saving to move out on their own.

The next day we spent touring Florence, and it is a very beautiful city with lots of churches and Renaissance art. The best part was going to the Accademia, and seeing Michelangelo's David - it is truely a magnificant statue. There are other sculptures by Michelangelo as well - we stayed for over an hour. It was a special holiday time in Florence, with World War II veterans marching in a parade and playing their band instruments, throughout the town.

Today we came to Rome, and we spent the day walking from the Roman forum to the Piazza Venezia, to the Roman Colleseum - and we had a great guide, Fabio, who told us alot about the history of the area. We ended the day seeing the Moses, sculpted by Michelangelo - it has been a lot to absorb!

I am still figuring out how to load a photo - hopefully next time.

Diane Gaede

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb