Hello from Athens!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 27th 2005
Published: May 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Athens, Greece just an hour ago - this is a very busy city.

But first - let me tell you about yesterday. We had spent the previous night in Minori, on the Amalfi coast, and yesterday got on the busfor the ride to Pompeii. At Pompeii, we met our local guide, Francesco, who took us on an hour and a half tour of the ruins, which have been pretty thoroughly excavated. Francesco showed us the 2000 year old Roman-type forum, the baths, the shops on the main road where chariots passed down the streets, and some of the houses where the wealthy of Pompeii lived, which had beautiful frescos and tile floors.

We also some some plastor casts of two of the people who had died in the Vesuvious erruption of 79 AD - It was a very interesting tour.

After we had lunch at Pompeii, we got on the bus and went to Bari, on the east coast of Italy, where we boarded a very big Superfast Ferry about 6 pm. We had dinner at the restaurant in the bar, and then watched as cars and semi-trucks were boarded on the ferry, and we left Bari at 8 pm.

We had rooms on the ferry with bunk beds and small rooms, but big enough for one night. After dark a group of us went to the Observatory Lounge at the front of the boat where we sat and talked until the disco opened at 11:30 pm - and we headed over there.

It turns out the disco floor was very small, and a few students danced to techno music - but as they were the only ones dancing, they headed off to their rooms after a few songs. The next day we slept in, and had breakfast on the ferry, and at 12:30 pm we docked at Patras, and boarded another bus for our trip to Athens. And here we are.

We spend four nights here in Athens, and then it's back to Colorado - we are in the final stages of our journey. It has been an very interesting trip so far, and I should be able to write one more time before we leave . . . Or I shall persuade some of the students to write! I hope everything is going well in the States.

Diane Gaede

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb