Rome wasn't Built in a day but if you run fast you can nearly see it


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 24th 2006
Published: September 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After laundry last night - clean clothes the things you miss eh, we thought we should get a head start on Rome and check out a few of the sights - we ventured out and walked to the Spanish steps (the long way - we really must learn how to read a map). We trucked on through the city and stumbled across the Trevi Fountain - one of those sights you have to see to believe. We decided that seeing as the crowds were not thinning out that we would head back to the hotel and have some dinner, whilst we were wandering along a rather busy street we saw a sight that really took us by surprise - picture the scene if you will - beautiful tree lined street, loving couples everywhere, people enjoying a spot of dinner then just to mix it up a bit a guy comes strolling from an apartment block weilding a baseball bat he causally throws his gloves into the nearest bin (even crims care about the environment) then he shoved his baseball bat up his sleeve and wandered off into the crowd - we still don't quite know what we saw but we quickened our pace.

We started at Vatican City early this morning and join the several thousand other people taking advantage of the free entry on Sunday. We decided that as it was below 30 degrees (albeit only just) that we would climb to the top of the Cuploa - we could have paid 7 Euro to take the lift but thought for 3 Euro we would take the stairs - they must have been short when they built it cos even wee Chris had to duck a few times - the view was well worth the sweat. We continued through St Peters Bascillica - you could spend hours in there and photos will never do it justice (at least ours won't) we emerged just in time for the Pope's midday Mass -which is quite appropriate given the Mass that attended. Once we worked our way through the crowds we headed for the Colosseum the crowds had luckily thinned out and also lucky for us the Romans also built a metro station right next door but had forgotten to install ATM's so once we walked back from where the Metro had just taken us we headed for the Colosseum once more and paid a few extra Euro's for a guided tour - well worth it really we learnt more than we ever would have alone.

And now with the sun setting over Rome we once again head out in search of food - Chris is in heaven Pizza Pizza and then some more Pizza.........

Heading to Florence in the morning on the Eurostar - we have found the first class lounge and now just have to hope they let us in ......

Advertisement



25th September 2006

Oh Italia
Hey, glad to hear you guys are enjoying yourselves. Should've warned you about the tourist unfriendliness of Naples and surrounds. Scary city that one. One question though....how come the Chris (she) who can't stop talking is not doing any talking (on this blog)? Intriging. You haven't stashed her away somewhere have you? So jealous you are heading to Tuscany!! So gorgeous. Beats being fied under ultra-violet light like a battery hen all day, eh?

Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0618s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb