Tuesday the Seventh


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 7th 2015
Published: April 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We had great plans for the day, starting with a tour of St Peter’s Basilica. Arriving a little early we went to the piazza to take a few pictures and discovered perhaps 4,000 teenagers waiting to go through security and get into the basilica for a special mass with Pope Francis. Our tour guide, when we found him, said it might take 90 minutes to get through security, leaving only an hour or so for the tour, so we decided not to proceed (at his suggestion). Very disappointing.

We walked past Castel San Angelo and the Bernini statues on the bridge leading to the castle (one particular statue was of an angel with dice in the folds of his/her cloak) and then decided to go to Piazza de Spagna, where we warmed ourselves at Caffe Greco, an institution in the area of the Spanish Steps. Old paintings and pictures and perhaps some ancient inhabitants. After some warming coffee and tea, we walked around the area, purchased warmer coats (one each … with style) and stuck around for lunch at Nino’s just off the square. It was the first dinner John ever had in Rome (on his first day as an employee of Dove International back in the mid-1980s). Great memories of brown meat sauce (chingale – wild boar). So Peggy had the cheese and pepper Roman special and John had the pasta with chingale. We shared spinach and artichoke side orders, both of which were spectacular. Fond memories and a great meal.

After some more walking – to relieve a good meal – we made our way back to the hotel for a little rest, before heading out to the Palazzo Farnesi with its fabulous architecture and art. Not our day! The palazzo is available Monday, Wednesday and Fridays … Not Tuesdays. So we wandered along the streets through the antique area and finally ended up at Piazza Navonna where we sat for a glass of wine and listened to a fine gentleman playing the violin. Peggy made a few requests – and bought him a cup of coffee (he was very cold) – before wandering off again to the Piazza Pantheon for some roasted vegetables. Finally settling in for the night, happy and disappointed at the same time. Guess we will have to return to Rome!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb